You've seen the snuggie (tm).
You've seen the snuggie (tm) for dogs.
But what about a snuggie type blanket for fashion dolls, like Barbie? She's always been up on the current fashion trends, so she certainly wouldn't want to miss out on this one.
Wait no more! Now you can sew your very own snuggie type blanket for an 11-1/2" fashion doll, such as Barbie, using only a small piece of fleece, thread, Velcro and about 30 minutes of your time.
It's easy. Let me show you how with this sewing tutorial.
1) Download the PDF pattern here. (Let me know if you have problems as this is the first time I've tried Google Docs. )
2) Print pattern. Pattern is set to print on four sheets of 8-1/2 x 11 paper.
3) Trim sheets where marked and tape together to form one pattern sheet.
4) Cut out one blanket from fleece. Cut out two sleeves from fleece.
5) Transfer markings to wrong side of fleece. Cut along solid lines and circles as shown.
6) Hem bottom edge of sleeve. NOTE: you can eliminate these hems if you want as fleece will not ravel.
7) Sew sleeve onto the blanket placing the dot at the top of the sleeve at the center of the circle. Don't worry if this doesn't match exactly. Fleece has enough stretch that you'll be able to make it fit.
8) Sew underarm sleeve seam continuing to the bottom of the blanket.
9) Hem all edges of blanket. NOTE: You can eliminate this hem if you want as fleece does not ravel.
10) Cut a 1" piece of Velcro. If desired, cut that strip in half lengthwise creating a narrower strip.
11) Sew the Velcro strips on the wrong side of the blanket along the top center back edges.
Done! She's now ready to cozy up on the couch for some late night tv viewing.
If you're really feeling ambitious, you can eliminate that side and underarm seam. Just cut the circles out of the blanket without cutting along the solid lines. Sew the underarm seams of the sleeves. Pin the sleeves in the circle and sew the sleeves to the blanket. Add Velcro as described above. This takes more time, but the end result will be more "authentic."