Friday, November 27, 2009

Simplicity 2501 - another one for the Month of Tops sew along

I've been participating in the Month of Tops sew-along. Well, more accurately, I signed up to participate in the MOT sew-along but haven't been too active in actually sewing any tops.

However, I did manage a sew a couple and I still have a few more days before the end of the month. This is one I completed last week.

Simplicity 2501 top

It's Simplicity 2501, a top with separate pattern pieces for B, C, D cup sizes. I gotta tell ya, even though it really only saves me five or ten minutes, I love not having to do an FBA on a pattern. Does anyone else feel that way?

The skirt shown is my new little black skirt from McCall's 5984.

This particular top is view D with the collar from view C. While I do like tie collars (as shown on view D) I liked the trendiness of the faux bow collar. The collar is a wide round collar (think large peter pan collar) that is not sewn to the front neck edge. The loose ends of the collar are inserted into the attached loops forming the "bows". Simple huh?

Simplicity 2501 close up of collar detail

The sleeves on this version are elbow length, gathered at the sleeve cap as well as the center length of the sleeve. I used a lightweight fabric that provided slight width to the shoulder area without being overpowering. Of course, you need to keep in mind that I have narrow shoulders and a more defined shoulder area works well for me. If I'd have chosen a crisper fabric it could easily have resulted in a dated 80s looking shoulder.

Simplicity 2501close up of sleeve detail

The polyester fabric was in my stash purchased for who-know-what from the local Hancock Fabrics store a year or so ago. I choose it for this top because 1) it was lightweight, 2) it's striped pattern would look interesting on the waistband and collar, and 3) it has purple and black in it.

Simplicity 2501 blouse

So, one more stash pattern used.

More stash fabric out of the closet.

And another addition to the Month-of-Tops sew-along.













Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Cute top and I love how its working with the black skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute! I love the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute top, I like the details on the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is ubber cute! Love the print and your new blog lay out. It is new right - or am I just late?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute blouse, and the fabric is a fantastic choice :) Will have to check out the pattern as I haven't completly mastered the FBA yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that you mixed pattern parts, but your blouse looks much better than anything on the pattern envelope!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always look forward to read your blog post because you never fail to inspire me to sew... Nice Top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that top as well as the jacket. Very cute and thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOOOO..... I love the details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That blouse is so, so cute! I love the details I never would have picked up that fabric at the fabric store because I wouldn't have known just what to do with it. You have a great eye.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin