Saturday, October 24, 2009

Wear the wild things are - Butterick 5394 review


Butterick 5394
Originally uploaded by Sharon Sews
Now you know I just couldn't wait to get started on something sewn from the fabric purchased yesterday at SR Harris. So I did what most of you would do - choose the quickest and easiest project for some instant gratification.

My version of Butterick 5394, sewn using the one-yard of novelty knit. It's rather light weight, black and brown, with lots of fuzzy eyelashes scattered throughout. Makes for an interesting texture, but leaves quite a mess in the sewing studio. I suspect it will also leave behind remnants in my contacts when I wear the thing.

The pattern is a Fashion Express design, and was cut out and sewn in approximately two hours. There really isn't much to say about the construction as it's simply two side seams, four raglan sleeve seams, a collar, machine stitched hems and two buttonholes and buttons.

I was a bit concerned that wearing a tight collar over a turtleneck would be too warm, so I'm happy that the collar actually sits wider on the neckline than the pattern illustration would lead you to believe,

It's a bit reminiscent of a wild animal, but then again, I do like those animal prints (see dress and fleece as proof.) The plan is to pair this with a black turtleneck and jeans (and boots of course) for a bit of added warmth this winter season. Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I love the shape and I love the texture of the fabric!
    Can I borrow it please :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cute vest. It will make a great layering piece this winter when you need a bit of extra warmth. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY CUTE!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally cat woman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this. I have not seen this pattern. Some real potential there. Love the fabric you used. Your idea of wearing turtleneck with it works well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy that was fast! Glad you are making use of those fabrics already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never noticed this pattern before - your interpretation of it is very inspiring. I love that animal print!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin