Sunday, October 04, 2009

The Vogue vest comes to a screeching halt

Sewing progress on the vest was moving right along. As I began sewing I realized this was going to be a quick sewing project.

Until it came to a screeching halt due to my inability to locate the appropriate black lace for the armhole and collar time. It shouldn't be that hard right? What I want is the size of the white lace, but the color of the black. I doubt the lace can be dyed black if it's polyester. I've checked the lace selections at my local fabric stores and no luck. So until I can either locate narrow black lace or decide on another trim, the vest is on hold.

I will say it's shaping up to be a nice addition to my fall wardrobe. Notice the great dart shaping? I choose to have the small front and back waist darts on the outside of the fabric - just a subtle way of showing the design detail.

With the vest on hold I turned my attention to a different project-a lightweight coat that will be perfect for the rest of October. Vogue 1128 is the pattern of choice, chosen because I wanted a loose fitting coat that would showcase this polyester/wool/rayon fabric.

In the meantime, any ideas on where to locate narrow black lace trim? Pin It

10 comments:

  1. You know I'd leave it plain. It might have worked on the rounded seams but I know that you don't want to unpick. Its a great vest by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. try trimfabrics.com or maybe mjtrims.com. If you can crochet you could do a quick reverse crochet around the arms and neckline in black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I so want to be a fly on the wall in your sewing studio while you work on the coat. I want to make a winter version of it for me this year so any tips or hints you can pass along will be appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you can find white cotton Cluny lace, it could be dyed. JoAhn's carries it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think rayon lace (usually for lingerie?) can also be dyed. Or for another trim, would pleated grograin or satin ribbon work? Gathered ribbon might be a bit difficult, in a width about the sizes of the white lace shown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea where you can find the lace you want, but the darts do look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck with the searching! it has to be out there, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the grey vest! With my first paycheck (many, many, many moons ago) I bought a beautiful grey wool suit, skirt, vest, jacket, and shoes to match! Anyway, try Martha Pullen's website -- she has an assortment of laces, white, ecru and black. Donna H.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried LesBon Ribbon or MJ Trims for lace. It is hard to buy online I am sure but those are first to my mind.

    Your coat is going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i LOVE that coat pattern! I just scored some vintage houndstooth that would be perfect that that style! The vest is looking great...good call on the darts. DId you try Ebay for the lace trim?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin