Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Mmmmmm - Coconut Pumpkin Nut Bread

Aprons equal baking in my book. What better way to break in the Halloween apron than to bake some coconut pumpkin nut bread?

Won't you have a seat and join me? A mini loaf for me and one for you.


My recipe came from a coupon book my natural foods coop distributes monthly, but a quick Google search revealed the recipe can also be found at AllRecipes.com.

Ingredients:
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups dark brown sugar
2/3 cups white sugar
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2/3 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8" x 4" loaf pans. (I used one large loaf pan and four small ones.)

Combine all ingredients - except the coconut and nuts - and mix until well blended. Fold in the coconut and nuts. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. (The smaller loafs took 1 hour, the larger 1 hour 15 minutes.) Remove from oven, cover tightly with foil and allow to steam for 10 minutes. Remove foil and cool on baking rack. OR carefully slice a piece so you can savor the tastes while the bread is still warm


Disclaimer: The apron, which you'll remember I sewed as a gift, was not actually worn during the preparation of this bread. Cuz that'd be a bit tacky don't you think? Instead, I wore the black and yellow apron received from the June '08 apron swap. Pin It

4 comments:

  1. You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look too darn cute in your apron.

    I got a ton of hits from your website to mine after you posted about my article in the Vogue Pattern magazine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. Now I'm in London, several thousand miles away but if I get on a plane will there be any of that Coconut Pumpkin Nut Bread left for me? Probably not, I guess I'll have to make my own - so thanks for the recipe because it looks delicious. And so does that lovely apron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great retro pose! Thanks for the recipe...sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin