Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tie On! A wraparound jumper for a little sweetie

Birthdays. I love birthdays. I love birthday parties and birthday cake. Especially when the party is for a child and there will be the best home-made birthday cake ever, made by their mother.

Which is one reason I'm so sad that we had to miss a little sweetie-pie's birthday party today celebrating her third birthday. We can thank one of our cars since it started making scary noises the other day and today was the only chance we had to get it into service to be looked at.

So I won't know until we see them tonight if the little sweetie will like her new wraparound dress or not. I betting Mom will like it even if the little one gravitates towards the toy that will also be in the birthday bag.

The dress was sewn using a vintage 1970s pattern I picked up the other day at a thrift store. You know, there was a time not so long ago that I would rarely see sewing patterns in thrift stores. Now, almost every one I stop at as a rather large selection of sewing patterns for sale.

I know there are many adorable designs to choose from in the current pattern catalogs, but c'mon...look at this. It's a WRAP DRESS! For a toddler. With a bias ruffle sleeves and wide ties that end in a big bow in the back.

5205 Butterick 1970s

Sewn from a brightly colored cotton print I think it makes an adorable addition to any toddler's closet.

5205 Butterick Tie On Jumper Toddler
How about you? Do you sometimes pass on the current designs in favor of a pattern issued 25 to 30 years ago? Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I don't know why I never thought to look at the thrift store for patterns?? I dumped so many of mom Mom's patterns when I moved her and have forever regretted it. This dress is adorable! I love the style and easy on/off for those wiggly little dancing princesses we all have in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I would have saved all of those children's patterns I had years ago! It would be great to have them for my grandchildren and nieces and nephews now. That is the cutest little dress and I'm sure her mother really appreciated the gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute dress. I am an affectionado of our local St Vincent de Paul store. Will have to ask if they have patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet little dress! She will be adorable in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute dress! I, too, love the old patterns. I made the flower girl's dress for my daughters wedding a couple weeks ago, and used a Children's Corner pattern I've had for years - which was probably originally published before my oldest was born (she's 30!) I kept all the patterns from my kids, and have collected more... Altho I usually go to the basic "smocking and heirloom sewing" patterns whenever I sew for little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been very fortunate to find great vintage patterns at our area thrift store. What a great feeling it is to get a fabulous pattern for 25 cents!
    I love this wonderful wrap dress pattern and would love to find one to find my youngest daughter.
    That is so cute!
    Yes, I love vintage patterns so much more than the modern ones though I do sew with modern ones as well.
    Very good job on the dress!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin