Sunday, July 05, 2009

Retro 1970s Jane Tise blouse pattern

I was still feeling patriotic this morning so I choose to sew a blue and white striped blouse. Paired with white pants this would have a real nautical feel to it.

Vintage 70s Butterick 4098 Jane Tise pattern

The pattern is an oldie, from the mid-1970s. I found it in my pattern stash as I was clearing out patterns...the envelope is showing its age, but the pattern pieces were mostly uncut. It is Butterick 4098, a young designer pattern, Jane Tise for Sweet Baby Jane.

Vintage 70s Butterick 4098 Jane Tise pattern

I was drawn to view D as soon as I saw the sleeve cuffs. I think the finished blouse seems fresh and retro at the same time.

Very little alterations were done to the pattern. A forward shoulder adjustment and an FBA. For the FBA I added a small side dart. The pattern already has two front waist darts that are released at the bustline.

Vintage 70s Butterick 4098 Jane Tise pattern

I had forgotten how nice it was to work with a pattern that has only one size printed on it. The cutting, stitching and markings are all so easy to find. I'd also forgotten about those 70s sleeve caps...

Vintage 70s Butterick 4098 Jane Tise pattern

The fabric is a navy blue with a white---well almost silver---vertical stripe running through it. My yardage was limited so I cut the pattern pieces single layer to make sure that the stripes matched as much as possible. The fabric does have a bit of stretch to it, which is a good thing as the blouse is pretty fitted, which I think was typical for that era.

If I can find just the right summer fabric and lace, I may sew View C...just because it has a fun notched sailor collar. Pin It

18 comments:

  1. What a cute blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I need to go back and look at those boxes of "out of date" patterns I found today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute blouse, lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fabric is a great choice for that blouse! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute, love the vintage feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice use of stripes.the blouse has a nice shape to it,todays patterns seem so boxy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blouse. Worn with white pants and some red accessories--wow! I too, love the sleeve cap of yesterday. Caps that actually fit into the armsythe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute! I love the buttons.
    Most of the time I pull out old patterns to teach people the cutting process. There's less visuals on for someone starting out to view. And they have the notches cut out which I always teach - sometimes people cut in too far.
    One size in each -it's all about money - the pattern co. can produce less and sell more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blouse! I took your advice and stole 2 hours to make my knit dress, like yours. Turned out great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute is that blouse. Wear it in good health. g

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blouse! And the necklace is the perfect finisher!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now if you really want the lace...I can help out! Let me know!!! Otherwise, I wouldn't have known that blouse was from the 70s if you hadn't told. I loved those Jane Tise patterns but I don't think they were drafted in large sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Blouse! Great Pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a darling blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the line on this blouse and the side dart is gorgeous on here. Those things did fit snug (a la Farah Fawcett), but if you fit them right, they feel great and make you look even greater! Looks like all you'd need for View C is some lace edging - sometimes that can be in the trim dept.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so gorgeous. I think, I can have my old nursing scrubs repaired for a retro look.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made and wore this blouse when I was a teen back in the 70's. I kept the pattern because the blouse is so unique, pretty and timeless. I love your version!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a darling blouse.

    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin