Sunday, July 19, 2009

Quick! Sew a summer skirt while the sun still shines

So far this summer we've experienced a week or two of "normal" summer temps followed by days of unseasonably cooler temps. Cool enough that I've been unmotivated to finish the summer garments I had planned for the season.

That's why, when the sun shone and the temperature rose today into the mid 70s (F), I quickly finished this summer skirt. Who knows? I may yet have a chance to wear it this summer.

This was sewn from one of my favorite skirt patterns---McCall's 5431. My previous versions - here and here - no longer fit (too big - yea!) so they were donated and have (hopefully) found new owners who are enjoying them as much as I did.

The fabric for this one came from Crafty Planet as I'm lucky enough to live close enough to shop there.

The fabric was originally destined to become a tote, but I realized it's pretty rare that I actually use any totes that I make, so a skirt it became.

I'm loving the bold gold and white flowers against the black background.

Now if the temperatures will only cooperate for the remaining months of summer... Pin It

17 comments:

  1. What a cute summer shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love working with a tried and tested pattern. I like the gold and black - its a strong colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that skirt! it looks like sun shining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great skirt. Too bad you're smaller than the older versions. g

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this skirt. This is one of my favorite color combinations of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your skirt looks great. The summer has been cooler than usual all over. I hope you get a chance to wear your new skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful skirt! well done you! great blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the summer skirt. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty - love the two fabrics together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so pretty. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the weight loss, and I love your new skirt. Such a great print!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! That fabric is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that skirt and I agree with everything you said, including the weather! I had to wear a sweatshirt on the 4th of July!! I also finished 3 fun summer-print skirts last week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very, very cute skirt. I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the skirt! The colors remind me of a taxi cab - that's a good thing. Taxi cabs remind me of NYC - I love NY - so I love your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The fabric on that skirt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin