Monday, June 22, 2009

A walk on the wild side - McCall's 5890 Knit Dress pattern review

I admit it. I like animal prints. Although I typically wear them in small doses - a top worn underneath a suit jacket, a pair of shoes or a belt. You see I have a secret fear that I will look like that Laverne character on the old Sonny and Cher television show ... the one clad head to toe in a tacky leopard print.

However, when I saw this McCall's pattern, 5890, I pushed my fear aside and decided to go for it. I searched the Internet for an animal print knit, which was harder than I had anticipated. Not finding exactly what I wanted, I settled for a cheetah print from Gorgeous Fabrics.

The dress itself is so stickin' simple to sew that there is hardly anything to say about it. Here's my observations about the pattern:
  • It's a princess seam knit dress, perfect for adjusting the fit in the bust, waist and hip while maintaining the shape of the design.
  • The only adjustments I made to the pattern were 1) forward shoulder adjustment and 2) sway back adjustment.
  • The pattern seems to run large. I do not like my clothing tight so I typically cut a size larger in the waist and hip giving myself lots of extra ease. This time I did that and there was way too much ease - the dress hung on my with no shape at all. I needed to take the waist in about four inches and it is still loose enough for me.
  • The neck and sleeves are simply turned under and stitched in place. I used light steam-a-seam to give it some stability before topstitching. A binding would look nice also. (Of course I thought of that after the dress was completed.)
  • The dress is long. I cut the shorter view with no adjustments. I cut 1" off and sewed a 1-1/2" hem. Next time I will hem it another 1/2" to 1" shorter.
  • In my opinion it needs to be worn with a belt to help define the waist.
All in all, its a keeper. It was the perfect work dress for the sweltering summer heat we finally are experiencing. Yea for hot summer weather! and I better not let my husband see what I just wrote as he's been complaining about the heat all day.


5890 Dress
Pin It

17 comments:

  1. I like animal prints too and great dress for you! I'm wearing by animal print loafers with black skirt and jumper right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, look at you all dolled up in cheetah! Cute dress. I love animal prints! Grrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yowza, yowza! I've got that pattern, and been wanting to turn out a simple knit dress like yours! Maybe next week when the calendar clears... great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. M-E-O-W!!! That dress looks amazing in the cheetah print!!! Nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the animal prints.

    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rowr! You look fierce!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic - love the dress and the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that dress is great. Love the new hair cut, enjoy your heat. g

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your dress! I also love animal prints and I have several in my wardrobe and also in my stash. I have this pattern and have not yet made it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's really pretty! i love how drapey it looks- it fits really nicely without being too tight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look sooooo cute in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is really pretty! You look great in it!

    Animal print lover here too. My favorite are animal print shoes. Just enough to make things interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. really cute! i love it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin