Monday, April 06, 2009

So how did I get into that magazine anyway?

First of all, let me say thanks to all of you for the kind words and congrats!

I admit it. It was fun to be in a national magazine.

So how in the world did they find me?

It was one of those "in the right place at the right time" moments.

I know, I know. It sounds so cliche.

But seriously folks that's what it was.

Last November I was browsing the Etsy forums and happened to read a posting about a reporter with First magazine looking to speak with someone who was using Etsy to clear clutter from their home.

Now, if you have ever browsed the Etsy forums you know how quickly the conversations happen and how quickly the information scrolls from the front page. I just happened to look at the forums at the exact moment this was posted.

I said to myself "shoot, your excess sewing patterns could certainly be considered clutter" and contacted the reporter via email. Gotta be honest here. It was purely selfish. I figured the publicity for my pattern shop could be good for business as well as drive more people to Etsy.

We emailed back and forth a few times and she asked me to send a photo of myself. A few weeks later she asked to schedule a phone interview with me.

That phone interview happened in December. At that point she had to pitch to story to her editor so I still had no idea if they were interested.

Almost a month went by and I heard nothing and thought "oh well, it would have been fun" and then forgot about it.

Until the the end of January when I received a call that they were going to use my story in the magazine.

Not only that, but they were sending a professional photographer as well as a hair and makeup artist!

So on a dreary gray day in February my sewing studio was transformed in a photo studio. While the hair and makeup artist did her magic, the photographer's assistant had to string lights from outside up to my second floor windows so it would be nice and bright.

They were incredibly nice to work with but when they leave you realize you have no idea at all which photo they will decide is the best.

On a lark, I happened to pick up the latest issue of the magazine while doing my weekly Sunday night grocery shopping. I had been told that the issue would be an early summer edition so I was certainly surprised to see myself while I was flipping through the pages.

So the moral of the story?

Well, there really isn't one. If you're looking to promote yourself or your business, just keep your eyes and ears open. When an opportunity presents itself don't be afraid to jump up and down and holler "pick me! pick me!" because you just never know. You could be the next one featured in print. Pin It

5 comments:

  1. That experience had to be exciting for you. I would be jumping up and down! It's just great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so fantastic!! I was so excited for you when I first saw it! And hair and makeup artist too - that is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the backstory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Sigh)...and my offer to be used in a national article was to use my plaid Simplicity pants photo in a piece about 'fashion faux pas'. I turned 'em down...
    But I'm glad you got picked for something much better!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin