Thursday, April 02, 2009

I'm a "Sellsumer" or extending my 15 minutes of fame

"A recession-induced need for cash, and an ever-growing infrastructure enabling individuals to act as (part-time) entrepreneurs, are fueling concepts that help ordinary consumers make money instead of just spending it. "Sellsumers" If saving is the new spending, then selling is the new saving.
At least that's what the latest trendwatching.com report says.

In a nutshell, the report talks about how the various and often ingenious ways people have found to generate secondary income. This is the sellsumer trend, not to be confused with the spiking ongoing trend of "starting a business as a primary source of income."

According to the report, Etsy is the "sellsumer-posterchild".

I am an Etsy seller. Therefore I am a sellsumer. And I can prove it.

Are you ready? Here comes my shameless attempt at extending my 15 minutes of fame.

First Magazine mentioned me in the article "Transform your clutter into $3,000"!

Now before you go any further, let me set the record straight. I personally did not transform my clutter into $3,000. I wish I had, but I didn't.

Three woman were profiled in the article:
  • One - the collector - sells on eBay.
  • Another - the mover - sells on Craigslist.
  • And moi - the crafter - sells on Etsy.
See? There I am, all smiles as I tell the readers "I turned my old sewing patterns into cash!"


It certainly was a fun experience, especially having my hair and make up done by a professional make up artist just for a magazine photo shoot. It's also really weird to see yourself while you're flipping through a national magazine.

I still have a sewing patterns for sale in my Etsy shop with many more to be listed so stop by anytime.

And if you're curious about transforming your clutter into $3,000 - well, you'll just have to pick up the April 20, 2009 issue of First magazine and read about it for yourself. Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Well, that's darned cool! I lvoe how they did you hair too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is marvelous. I'm so glad I know you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool!!! How'd you decide what to wear...knowing they were telling the world you made your own clothes? (That's a great photo, btw...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, they told me to wear a bright plain color (blue, yellow or green) shirt that looked summery. I don't own any in those colors so I planned to sew something. But of course I ran out of time. So the day before the shoot I was frantically searching the local mall for a summer shirt - something not in great demand in Minnesota in the middle of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how exciting. I will look for the magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always knew you were a star!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a cool article! You look soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so neat!! I will definitely be buying that magazine issue. Thank you for letting us know. BTW, you look so pretty in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So exciting! You look fabulous! How did they find/choose you for the article? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool! Can I say I knew you back when you were just plain ole Sharon - before you became famous? Don't forget the little people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what fun. You look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats, you look fabulous!! And selfishly, I hope this encourages lots more people to sell their old patterns online rather than just throw them away when Gramma dies... :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. We already knew you rocked! I'm glad they told the rest of the world! cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your hair looks fabulous! Was it big fun? So, you're saying I just shouldn't toss those patterns I no longer want? g

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sharon,
    Congratulations and very cool! I saw the Sunday Morning piece on Etsy--crazy how it has exploded over the last three years. What a fun experience for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I am so impress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Way to go, Sharon! Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! And, your hair is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I was thinking the model looked familiar and then realized it was you! Forget etsy, sign with an agency!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin