Monday, February 09, 2009

Burda World of Fashion Skirt 105 - questions answered

First off, Gaylen, just because you asked .... the skirt on a real, live person. As you can see, the released pleats are surprisingly flattering. And very comfortable. But I do think you need to choose your fabric carefully or they could flare out.

By the way, I'm freezing in this shot as the short sleeves and no hose look is better suited for June than it is for February, even though temps did almost climb to 40 degrees today (whoo! hoo!)

Carolyn, I'm actually thinking of sewing Sandra Betzina's jean style jacket - Vogue 1036 I'm not certain if it will work with the skirt or not, but who needs to be matchy-matchy all the time anyway? The fabric will look great in that jacket with white topstitching.

Becky, I know exactly how you feel. I eagerly awaited the arrival of my subscription every time someone would review one of the patterns on their blog.

Tracing the pattern
YaYaOrchid - yes, the patterns from Burda World of Fashion need to be traced. I admit that is my least favorite part as I'm a bit of a lazy sewer and love the instant gratification of cutting into a pattern and sewing it right up. However, to make it less of a chore, I pop in a DVD , choose all the garments I want to sew, and trace them all in one setting.

I use tracing paper that I purchase by the roll from Dick Blick. There's a Dick Blick fairly close to where I live so when I pick up art supplies so it's convenient. A 50-yard roll of 36" wide costs around $20 and I can trace quite a few patterns with it. I then fold the patterns up, insert them into a large mailing envelope (purchased in bulk from Office Depot), mark the BWOF issue, pattern and size and the pattern is all set to go when I'm ready to sew!

The zipper.
Stacey and Beth both commented on the zipper. The zipper really helps make the skirt unique and I was fortunate enough to have a few decorative zippers in my stash. I had purchased a bulk assortment two or three years ago from (where else) Fabric Mart. You could easily make your own decorative pull with some jewelry making supplies if you couldn't locate one.

The fabric.
Linda and Heather were curious where the fabric came from. This piece - over three yards and 60" wide - came in a wool bundle that was purchased from Fabric Mart Fabrics - which means it's long gone from their stock. I admit this online store is by far my favorite and I've always enjoyed the surprise of the fabric bundles. I have yet to be disappointed.

Fabric sale.
That being said, I immediately deleted an email announcing a 20% off sale on everything on their website .... and oh! there were a few pieces of wool I would have liked to acquire. But, just because I choose to pass on the sale doesn't mean you have to. The sale is currently underway. I'm just sayin... Pin It

14 comments:

  1. That skirt is adorable on you Sharon! I must admit that I get inspired to make garments I might otherwise pass on when I see how great they turn out. Guess I'll have to give that one a second look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt looks fantastic on. I might have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:08 AM

    Very nice, the pleats have actually stayed the same as in an unworn state. I think it's very flattering.

    Too bad about the fabric not being available. Oh well!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:12 AM

    Lol, just read your post to the end....about the sale. I am off to see.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon - you know Fabric Mart is my go to spot too...so I understand how you feel about it! I have waaaayyyy too many pieces with those little white stickers on them in my fabric closet. Thanks for answering my question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:37 AM

    Well, I went and they do have a nice tropical weight wool similar to yours...alas at $19.99 or so per/yard. I can't buy just a yard of anything and purchasing long distance, I'd really like 6 or even 10 yds....alas! BUT, I did purchase 14yds of various silks....ahhhhh...I hope the cheap prices doesn't mean the quality is also cheap....like the saying...you get what you pd for..LOL.....guess I could always make pjs.
    Still eyeing that wool though.
    Thanks for enabling me, I really do need silks for a special project at a great price.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to delete the Fabric Mart email too - it's just too tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was intrigued by that skirt when I saw it in the magazine, but it turned out excellent for you and looks very wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great skirt. Love your version. I just say Claudine's and she put the zip to the side. I think I will have a go at this too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That skirt is lovely. Did you wear it that way to work? Or did you just put it on for the photo shoot? thank you :) g

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so cool - and look wonderful in the skirt. I'm off to the wonderful world of on-line fabric shopping right after I click to publish this...Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought I hated tracing BWOF, until I went back to a Vogue, brand new. It had a lot of pieces and was just stuffed into the envelope. I had to take out 8 sheets and cut out pieces from 6 to get all my garment. Then iron them. Then put the rest back away. Then realize I'd missed a piece. Then start over. Compared that, tracing no longer seemed to timeconsuming. I use the Beinfang paper from DB's, too. Good stuff

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin