Sunday, February 22, 2009

All good things must come to an end...

No, no, no.

Not my blog.

Just my vacation.

That's why this blog was so quiet last week. I was on vacation.

But not just any vacation - an oh-so-trendy staycation filled with home improvement projects, friends, and sewing.

Home improvement
That's right. The past week hubby and I have been officially on vacation and, rather than sunbathe in Mexico we choose to update the kitchen floor from ugly 20-year old linoleum to porcelain tile. Of course, now its really obvious how ugly the falling-apart counter tops are.

The final touch was added to the bathroom remodel project which only lasted six months, LOL. However, with all the hours hubby puts in at work it's understandable that it would take so long.

Then there was the lets-get-organized-and-get-rid-of-stuff-we-don't-need day. I don't know about you but I swear our stuff multiplies when we turn the lights out. But it does feel good knowing the items we don't need can be donated and will be found and re-loved by someone new.

Friends
I allowed myself plenty of time to connect with girlfriends and spent many hours in restaurants eating lunches and visiting. I also built in time to watch movies when hubby was away on his annual ski-weekend with the boys. My sister and I went to Confessions of a Shopaholic and I finally watched The Notebook. That may not sound like a big deal but I rarely take time to view an entire movie in one sitting.

And we can't forget game night! Do you like board games? We do. Actually hubby has grown to like them as it's something I really enjoy. It was snowing outside, so we turned the heat up, mixed a big batch of margaritas and had almost a dozen people crowd around our dining room table for an evening filled with food and fun. And I swear the guys cheat. I mean c'mon. How can you guess flower girl when the drawing is a circle with a squiggly thing coming out of it's head?!?

Jewelry making
I made my first pair of beaded earring this week! I've been wanting to do that for a long time and it looked so complicated that I never wanted to take the time to try it. Well, the women in my church have a monthly get together - we call it Sweet Tuesdays and it's based on Sweet Mondays - woman's socials on a shoestring.

This past Tuesday the theme was "More Precious Than Jewels" and for the program portion of the evening, one of the multi-talented woman in our church showed us how to make a pair of beaded earrings. Well, I'm hooked and plan on visiting the Bead Monkey soon. *Sigh* As if I needed one more hobby to add to my busy schedule.

Sewing
The annual SR Harris fabric buying trip was postponed, but there really isn't any need to bring additional fabric into the sewing studio at the moment.

That being said, I did cave and purchase a piece of fabric from Hancock Fabrics when I stopped in to pick up some buttons. A fun print for a summer skirt - Simplicity 2655. The fabric content is listed as 100% polyester, but it sure feels as if it has some cotton in it. I may need to do a burn test to satisfy my curiosity.

While sewing time was limited I did manage to sew a summer skirt, two knit tops, a spring jacket and silk/cotton blend blouse. More on those later this week including photos on something I've finally mastered - how to sew a collar with stand and have it look good.

Whew, after reviewing everything that was crammed into one week is it any wonder I'm feeling a bit exhausted? Now if only I would have remembered to go to the tanning booth... Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Wow...you did cram alot into your staycation! And for limited sewing time you sure got alot done! Can't wait to hear the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you had a great week! It sounds like it was wonderfully relaxing and that you got a lot done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that was a great vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun vacation! And how optimistic of you to start sewing for spring already - brrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin