Monday, January 19, 2009

Pink - the softer side of red

Pink.

What do you think of when you think of pink? Baby girls? Sugar and spice and everything nice? Or maybe finishing a seam edge (I know all you sewers know what I'm talking about)

It seems most people aren't neutral about this color. They like it or they don't. Period. I know my friend Stacey likes pink as she's still harassing asking me about sewing her a pink jacket like this one.

I'm in the "I like pink" camp. So I was thrilled to see the color pink featured in the latest catalog mailing from Nieman Marcus.

The fashions in that catalog were spring fashions, and I'm certainly not prepared to begin spring sewing. Not knowing we have at least two and a half more months of cold weather to endure.

Instead I pulled out a pastel pink wool crepe purchased two years ago from Fabric Mart Fabrics. A beautiful piece of wool that I had bought with the intention of creating a jacket. However once I saw how pale the color was I realized I'd never be able to pull that off near my face.

However, knowing that pink works with black, grey and brown, and owning jackets and tops in all of those colors, I sewed myself another winter skirt from the Nov. 2008 issue of Burda World of Fashion (BWOF).

The skirt is 110A and is described as a fully lined four-gore skirt with cut-in-one fluttery hem godets.

A review over at PR is forthcoming. In the meantime, include Whether it be salmon, coral, hot pink, fuschia, blush, or rose, my spring wardrobe will include the softer side of red. Pin It

20 comments:

  1. I cannot wear that shade near my face, either. In fact, most pinks do not look great on me, the exception being fuschia and similar deep shades (I know this from my years as a Mary Kay consultant in my pre-children years). As a skirt, it looks great. I love that style, so feminine and feisty at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay we have just GOT to stop purchasing the same fabrics! I swear I have a piece of that in the fabric closet! *LOL* Great skirt...and you made me realize that I have this amazing piece of embroidered pink wool that would make a quick and easy skirt but would be perfect in my work wardrobe! Time to go root around in the fabric closet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty skirt, what a nice way to use your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute skirt. I love all shades of pink. Where are planning on wearing it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your skirt is so pretty. I love the tulip at the bottom. . . so feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit I'm not a pink person. My hair is inclined towards redness (sometimes it gets an extra nudge that way ;) and so I use that as my excuse not to wear it. Plus it just tends to be too "girly-girl" for me. Hope you enjoy though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in the "I love pink" camp. I think I even have the same fabric (mine came from Michael, though). Pale pink is great near my face; it lights up my complexion. Hmm... time to pull it out and make something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty skirt -- so feminine! I love the color pink, but I'm limited in regard to the shade that I can wear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous skirt. Glad to see sewing come out of your room. g

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just read your review at PR. Very nice skirt. Cut-in-one godets are something new for me. Interesting look and I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pink too. Cute skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pls visit my blog for an award! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pink is my favourite color. and yours is such a lovely skirt. wish i could have one.

    Thanks,
    Sherline

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admitt - pink makes me think of baby girls...but I am liking it more than I used to. I especially like it with brown. Or Hot Pink with Black.
    Your skirt looks very nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also nominated you for a blog award-- watch it be the same one that YayaOrchid did!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I've nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award that's going around. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a pink girl too. :D GREAT skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like pink, but when I wear like pink I feel I look to "innocent". I don't own too many pink clothes. Also, here in America pink is such a difficult color because it is mostly wore in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I mean when I wear light pink, I look too innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger award. http://sewfastembroidery.blogspot.com/ You can choose to honor other blogs or just bask in the glow of my appreciation! Thanks for sharing your sewing journey. Mary

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin