Monday, November 17, 2008

A happy ending for the great knit dress and the cr*appy fabric story

Myra, along with her comment, gave me a link to HGTV's crushed velvet tips, which included a tip on how to make your own crushed velvet.

Following the simple directions, I steamed the fabric for 30 minutes while I prepared dinner. When the timer when off, I removed it, tossed it in the dryer and crossed my fingers.


Voila! Crushed velvet stretch dress with nary a trace of ugly horizontal stripes. I'm going to do the entire process one more time and see if I can get a smaller, more random pattern for the backside.

So much easier than stamping or bleaching the fabric and definately quicker and cheaper than resewing the entire dress.

So there you have it. A near throw away saved by the generosity of fellow creative souls sharing thoughts, tips, encouragement and expertise. Pin It

17 comments:

  1. That is a happy ending. The dress looks great, what a save.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress looks great now! I love how others can point you in the right direction in the bloggy world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found a way to save that dress. You look very good in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. even if the stripes hadn't been there, I think I like the crushed velvet look best.

    Wtg .. great save

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I'm so happy it worked out and we all learned something new! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO GLAD it worked, I was waiting to see your results. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome save!! That color is fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hat's off to Myra!!! That dress is divine on, Sharon, no wonder you wanted to save it. Send these tips into Sew News or Threads, ladies with these pictures. Spread the love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon I've followed your cr*ppy dress in Reader and come over today to see this STUNNING result. Very luxurious. Wow. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. how wonderful that you were able to save it! love the color of that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah to Myra for a great suggestion! Wow what a great save! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome save!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin