Monday, November 24, 2008

Cinnamom pear tea bread

I've had my mind on food lately. IDK, maybe it has something to do with all the aprons I've been sewing. Or maybe the fact that Thanksgiving is coming soon.

Whatever the reason I've been thinking food. Not just any food. Baked goodies.

There's something about the fall season that triggers a must-bake-cookies-and-breads response inside of me.

I especially like baking tea breads. Years ago I used to bake bread...the yeast, the kneading, the whole nine yards. However, after having carpel tunnel surgery on both wrists I found the kneading to be a bit uncomfortable. And I have yet to try out the bread maker that hubby bought me as a gift a few years ago. So now I just stick to tea breads. They're easy and make a delicious snack.

Last week, after baking a batch of pumpkin poppers , I tried a new pear bread recipe. We think it's a keeper. Try it yourself and see what you think.

Cinnamon Pear Tea Bread
1/4 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream
(I didn't have sour cream on hand, so I substituted 1 cup of yogurt mixed with 1 tsp baking soda)
1 large pear, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch dice
(I used a Bartlett pear)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9-1/2 x 5-1/2 loaf pan.

Cream butter and sugar together. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until light. Combine flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Add to the creamed mixture alternating with the sour cream, mixing after each addition just enough to blend. Stir in the diced pear. Pour into prepared pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes.

Remove from oven and cool in pan for ten minutes then turn onto a wire rack and finish cooling completely before cutting.

This is from an out of print cookbook by Beatrice Ojakangas, Quick Breads - 65 recipies for bakers in a hurry. If you like baking tea breads I highly recommend purchasing this book. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin