Sunday, October 19, 2008

Vogue 2401 - the 50s era vintage dress pattern is done

Done!

I switched tracks and decided to finish the red dress I had began a few years ago. It's Vogue 2401, c. 2001, a 1952 vintage pattern reissued by Vogue.

The dress was originally set aside because I was having difficulty with the underarm/gusset area. Once I revisited it, it turns out I had been trying to put the wrong pieces together. No wonder it wouldn't work!

Any way, the dress had been cut too large because I've dropped a few pounds since 2006. I modified as much as I could since a few key pieces had already been sewn together.

While it's not my best work, nor the best fit, the overall look works.

To complete the look I have faux three-strand pearls as well as white gloves and a black clutch and pumps to complete the look. Plus, I'll have a chance to wear one of my vintage fur stoles since it will definitely cool off this evening after the sun sets.

A pattern review will follow in a day or so as I have other chores that still need to be completed yet this weekend.

I also plan on getting photos of the four of us in our fifties finery at the film festival so stay tuned! Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I think it turned out great and is perfect for yoru event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That color is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sharon, I can't wait to see pics of you in all your finery because that is one SWELL looking dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color and hope to see a photo of you in the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, that dress turned out great. Not sure if you'll be able to salvage it to fit the new smaller you - but hopefully it will be perfect without alterations! g

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would have been a shame not to finish it! It looks great. I like the color too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dress, gorgeous colour - I was just thinking about making up that exact pattern! You know what they say about great minds...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:08 PM

    I saw the Holiday 2008 issue of WeightWatchers magazine today and the red dress on the cover reminded me so much of your beautiful dress. You may not have gotten your dress ready for the wedding in time, but you are certainly ahead of schedule for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is an old post, but would you mind telling me a little about the construction of the dress UNDER the waist ties. I love this design and am trying to draft it for one of my Customers (I do designer doll clothing for collectors and he LOVES the 50s so it is just right for his collection!) It is tricky to work out the details from just the artwork. :) If yu could email me at k@boxpleat.com or boxpleat@earthlink.net I would really appreciate it. Mostly I want to know what SHAPE the front piece is to leave the ties free from half way down (as it appears.)

    Your dress is gorgeous, by the way. I have one in a similar style in a cinnamon color. :)
    Thanks. k. hartvigsen

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, I got the under arm/gusset area ok. But, I think the collar directions suck. I just cannot seem to wrap my mind around what I am supposed to do here! Just when i think I know, I read the directions again, and it just doesn't seem to jive with what seems logical! So, how do I finish these collar pieces?!! Help! Please??

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin