Sunday, September 28, 2008

Vogue 2925 pattern review - the skirt

The other night found me finishing the second piece from Vogue 2925 - the skirt.

The top you read about a few weeks ago when I blogged about it. Now it's time to tell you about the skirt.

It's a simple-to-sew skirt as there are only four main pieces - the front, the back and the side panels. The waist is finished with grosgrain ribbon and the skirt is fully lined.

It did need to hang over night because of the side panels, which is not mentioned in the instructions. The sides grew a bit and needed to be straightened before hemming.

Speaking of hemming. I know I've talked before about how much I dislike hand sewing. Well this puppy has a 5/8" hand sewn hem - all 142" of it. I sat at my cutting table, put some tunes on the iPod and just started stitching. After a few inches I had found the rhythm and the heming actually went fairly quickly.

While the fabric, a wool blend crepe, appears bright red in the photo it's more of a rich cranberry red. I lined it with bright red because I had red lining on hand and then added a red and white striped grosgrain ribbon for the facing. Just a little something that will make me smile when I step into the skirt on a dark and dreary winter morning.

The full pattern review can be read here. Pin It

5 comments:

  1. What a cute skirt! And you are right when it's one of those cold dreary January mornings you will be happy to have this skirt to wear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous skirt! I have this on my list of to-sew things for fall/winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, the comment got posted too soon.
    The colour is just gorgeous. Plus, this long skirt it's a lovely way to get to wear skirts even when it's cold outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those little secret details that only I know about - like your cute waistband! :)
    Very nice skirt!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin