Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Vogue 2925 cap sleeve knit top

After completing the purple knit dress, I pulled out the oh-so-popular Vogue wrap dress pattern - number 8379. My plan was to sew the Vogue dress and then compare the two in an attempt to decide which I liked best.

You see, I have this knit I purchased from Emma One Sock that I really like and I don't want to use it until I've tested the pattern to make sure I'm going to love what I make. I don't know about you, but when I spend a bit more on a piece of fabric, I want to make sure I'm not going to be disappointed in what I sew before I actually make it ... you know what I mean?

Anyway, with the Vogue pieces cut and ready to go, I pulled a lightweight sweater knit from my stash. It is a lovely shade of gray with a subdued floral print and I thought it would work perfectly as a fall transition piece.

Alas! When I unfolded the yardage I discovered I only had two large remnants! I had forgotten that I had used this a few years ago to sew the TeaGarden Tee from Sewing Workshop.

Rather than toss the large remnants, I searched the pattern stash for something that would allow me to use up this tiny bit of fabric.

As I was looking through the patterns, I remembered the tee from Vogue 2925. It had received rave reviews over at PatternReview and it required less than one yard of fabric. Perfect!

An hour later and the top was done. (The pinstripe skirt is Vogue 8518 - in progress - more on that tomorrow)

This tee definitely deserves the positive reviews it has received. It is only two pattern pieces, has a nice shape as well as a few small details that set it apart from a simple tank top or cap sleeve tee.

First, the back shoulder seam wraps around to the front. Two pleats are added before the seam is sewn. Next time I'll change the pleats to gathers.

Secondly, there is a small section gathered at the side seam just below the armhole. I ended up moving the gathers down by 1" so the fullness is released at the bustline, not above it. I also brought the back neckline up 2-1/2" as I don't care for low backs, especially on something that will be worn at work.

I have to admit that I'm happy I didn't have enough yardage to sew the wrap dress because I might not have discovered this fabulous little tee in time to wear yet this season.

Now if I only had kept all of my one yard or less pieces of knit fabric... Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Very nice T and the skirt is looking good too! Nice to know there is hope for those < 1 yard pieces of fabric. To answer your question about the Jalie sweetheart top...I was really pleased with my first attempt and can see this being a good wardrobe staple. I think the short sleeve can be made out of < 1 yard!!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pattern! The top is great. I'm gonna add that pattern to my Vogue sales list this weekend (Hancocks). g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - thanks for the heads up on that pattern - how did I miss that?? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this top from PR reviews too. Looks wonderful on you. Perhaps I should buy the pattern after all.
    And sure have the same feeling about a special fabric: better make a trial run.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin