Thursday, September 18, 2008

Dogs on Thursday - Rudy (the cute poodle) gets a transplant Book


09 18 Rudys book front
Originally uploaded by Sharon Sews
Rudy Gets a Transplant is the new children's book by my friend Stacy Raye Waibel.

Stacy is a talented writer with a gift for telling stories from Rudy's point of view. Rudy is one of her beloved dogs - the cute little black poodle. He even has his own website - http://www.rudyslittleworld.com/. What a lucky dog!

She's been writing short stories for quite some time and her Rudy's Little World series are stories for kids each with an educational theme.

Stacy, who had a kidney transplant a few years ago wrote Rudy Get a Transplant with the hope that it will help kids undergoing a kidney transplant. By learning what happens to Rudy when he gets his kidney transplant it will take away a child's fear of not knowing what to expect if they need a transplant.

The 26-page, paperback book, tells the story of how Rudy found out he needed a transplant, how it felt to get a transplant and ends with how happy he is to have had a transplant.

Each page of the book is beautifully illustrated with the original drawings by Ali Gratz, a 7th grader who underwent a kidney transplant herself.

09 18 Rudys book back Be sure to click on the photo of the back of the book and read the bios of both the author and the illustrator.

I purchased two copies - one for me and one to give away to you! If you're interested just leave a comment on this post I'll randomly choose a number on Sunday morning.

If you're interested in purchase your own copy, they cost $10 (plus shipping and handling) and can be purchased on Rudy's website. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this book will go toward buying books for Children's Hospitals.

(more Dogs on Thursday posts here) Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I would love a copy. Working at Guide Dogs for the Blind, I see the power of Dog (or God) everyday! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please put me in the drawing! My girls love to read about dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:30 AM

    I'd love a copy of this book - I had a transplant myself almost 18 years ago - and it's still going strong. :)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great way for kids to learn about transplants. It reminds me of a book I saw that had different animals finding a new home, to show children in foster care what that would be like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been fixated on buying my kids books about dogs ever since buying, "Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog," by Barbara Techel. Another great dog book from a disabled dog's perspective. Thanks for the heads-up on this book I may have to get this book for a family Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin