Saturday, August 02, 2008

McCall's 4716 Knit Top - a TNT fave

Has anyone else restricted their fabric/pattern/notion purchases because of the economy? I have. There's been very, very few fabric purchases in recent months - and yesterday was the first day any new patterns made their way into my home. That's because Vogue was on sale for $3.99 each and I took the opportunity to purchase the newest Sandra Betzina and Issey Miyake designs. But I gotta tell you I really thought hard about whether or not I should buy them.

Looking for ways to cut back on spending is why we just spent our vacation at home working on low-cost home improvement projects rather than spending a week traveling to a vacation spot.

As part of my fabric diet I've been digging through the stash and rather than tossing those one yard or less pieces I've been looking for ways to use them up. You may recognize this knit fabric from a previous project - the Hotpatterns butterfly top - which I never, ever liked. (I've since handed that one off to someone who will look fantastic when she wears it. ) The leftover fabric was perfect for a summer top using McCalls 4716 (out of print). One of my TNT faves (sewn in May 08, Oct. 07 and Nov. 06.

Rather than make this sleeveless I added a small cap sleeve - perfect for the summer climate.

Speaking of summer climate - this is what I'll be wearing today as we travel to my sister-in-law's lake home for a weekend of fun and relaxation. Abby is coming with us and we hope her first experience in a lake in an enjoyable one. Sophia will be staying home with the house sitter and I'm certain will be eager to welcome us back home tomorrow.

Happy weekend! Pin It

5 comments:

  1. What a great top - excellent use of a remnant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had cutback on fabric purchases partly because participated in stash contest at PR and wanted to cut spending. I then broke down in July and made some fabric purchases taking advantage of sale prices. Like you I have made up a few knit tops using fabric leftovers.

    Like this top and have always liked this fabric but never purchased it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have cut down quite a bit. Mainly on my trips to the sales at Joann's. That is a 45 minute trip one way for me, so I rarely go. I bought quite a bit of fabric at ASG Convention, so I am set for a bit. Your top is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this version of that pattern a lot!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin