Friday, August 01, 2008

Flashback Friday - 1975 Baby Quilt

I don't quilt.

There, I've said it. I know many, many, many people who do quilt and do so beautifully. But I'm not one of them. Honestly? I just don't have the patience for it, I don't know the "proper" way to do it, and when I have visited local quilt shops they haven't exactly been the most welcoming to someone (me) obviously stumbling around looking lost trying to figure out what I need for a quilt project.

It's not that I've never quilted. Quilting and patchwork was quite popular in the mid-70s when I was in my teen years. I vividly remember spending hours cutting up all of my fabric scraps into small squares, sewing them together to create yardage of patchwork fabric and then sewing a pair of pants using that fabric, which I wore often and proudly. Anyone that smirked or giggled I ignored figuring they were just envious that they weren't as creative as I was. Oh how I wish I had a photo of the pants to share with you.

But I don't.

What I do have is a photo of the second quilt-type project I created. A baby quilt for my firstborn.

When I was pregnant with my daughter I had a rough pregnancy and was instructed to do very minimal work, which meant no heavy lifting or long periods standing on my feet. Fortunately I was able to sew and read - two of my favorite at-home pastimes.

One day as I was browsing through a woman's magazine I came across a pattern for a baby quilt and decided to give it a try. It wasn't a traditional patchwork quilt. Instead it consisted of muslin blocks with a puppy hand-appliquéd on each block.

I happily spent hours and hours and hours working on this quilt. Each piece of the puppy was cut out and sewn onto the muslin block separately using a blanket stitch. The puppy consisted of mostly green calicoes, which I figured was a neutral baby color. A baby blue gingham was used as a corner accent and as the backing. The pink ruffle was added after the birth of my daughter - otherwise I would have left the ruffle off completely.

This is one of the few pieces left from that period of her life. I kept it all these years because I remember sitting on the floor of my tiny apartment, excited for the birth of my baby, patiently cutting out and sewing every puppy.

There was a lot of love that went into each stitch on that quilt. Someday her children will have this treasured baby quilt as their own. Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story! And the puppies are cute. (And I don't really quilt either, also because of the patience thing. That, and my mom is an avid quilter, so we already have tons of quilts around the house. Though I did see one in a catalog years ago that I really liked, and determined that once I can afford my own place, I have to make that quilt. Or get my mom to help me make that quilt, more likely!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:50 PM

    This made me smile so very wide, it is adorable! What a lovely story and an even lovelier quilt. Awesome work,
    I am glad you kept it.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little dog on the quilt is adorable. I'm so glad you still have it and can pass it on.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin