Sunday, August 17, 2008

Choosing to sew a 70s Vogue design over a recent release

This is an almost identical post from my Patternaholic blog. I'm curious if you also would have chosen to sew this vintage 70s dress over the recently released Vogue 1056.

Vogue 1218
c. 1970s

Vogue Paris Original Designer Pierre Balmain

Misses' Evening Dress


As I eagerly browsed through the latest pattern offerings by Vogue Patterns, this design (Vogue 1056) by Tom and Linda Platt caught my eye. Reading other sewing blogs (here, here, here, and here) I realized I wasn't the only one who was drawn to this pattern.

The neckline on the front bodice is the detail that I, and so many others, found so appealing. I considered purchasing it during the recent $3.99 Vogue pattern sale at Hancock Fabrics, but I am thinking twice about any unnecessary purchases. I even thought about getting it as my free pattern from Vogue patterns.

That's when I remembered abut this vintage Vogue pattern in my collection. Why spend $4 for a pattern when I already own one that is even more fabulous than this new release?

Sure, there are differences, but I think they are good differences. This 70s dress has back waist and shoulder darts and separate bodice and skirt pieces. The sleeves are quite interesting - they are bias and cut-in-one with the upper front but set-in into the back bodice. There's also a sleeveless underdress that is attached at the neckline. One of the suggested fabrics is a lightweight knit so I'm going to pull out a cheapie knit from the stash and work this up to determine if I want to invest in a wonderful piece of fabric to create this dress for the fall season.

Extra bonus: I'm certain the 2-page instruction sheet will provide much more detailed sewing instructions than this new release would have.

So which would you choose? Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you, definitely the vintage pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the vintage has more style - more detail - and would be worth spending some time to get it right. Good luck and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know I would go with the vintage one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The drape of the dresses shown in the older pattern to me have a lot more interest and appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the vintage one! people will think it's an interesting twist on the latest trend.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin