Sunday, August 24, 2008

Back in the sewing studio and planning a sewing storm

Oh my it felt good to spend some dedicated time in the studio. What was I working on? Oh, this and that...

You know how it is when you've been out of the sewing sync for a while. I went through fabric and patterns trying to decide what would become my new fall wardrobe additions. I cut a few skirts out. I completed a few mending projects.

Nothing too exciting or worth showing photos of. I mean really, do you want to see me replace an invisible zipper in a pair of pants ... can you say b-o-r-i-n-g?

One thing I really do need to do is get back on track quickly with my coat for the Great Coat Sew-Along. I've been reading and watching and learning from all of the information and photos that everyone has been posting, but have been absent from the discussions and from sharing where I'm at on the project.

Why you ask? Because I need to start all over. Oh, not because I messed up my muslin so badly that it couldn't be salvaged (which I admit could have happened) but because I've dropped about 15 lbs since the Great Coat Sew-Along began back in May.

It's enough of a weight loss that my clothing size has changed. That, in turn means all of the pattern alterations I knew so well - and could complete in minutes - have also changed. I haven't quite figured out all of my new alterations so I've been procrastinating about redoing a muslin.

However, if I keep pretending to myself that I can easily catch up I'll never finish the coat in October along with everyone else. And believe me, there's been years when a winter coat was needed by October. Now that I've come out and admitted it, I guess I'll need to find time to cut out, alter, and sew another muslin sometime this week.

By the way, I was planning on sewing Vogue 8346, but since I need to start over, I am seriously considering a vintage 70s vogue (non-designer) coat pattern from the collection. Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the weight loss and good luck with fitting the new you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new shape! That's the coat I'm making, not that anyone would know it. I'm stuck at what kind of infrastructure my coat might need - so therefore I have done nothing! g

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I needed a coat! I love fall and winter clothing...
    Did you do anything special to lose those 15 lbs?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin