Sunday, July 27, 2008

Why dogs and sewing rooms don't mix

I'll admit it.

I like having my dogs visit me when I'm in my sewing studio working away.

I even think it's cute when Sophia grabs the tissue paper and shakes it viciously or when she thinks my latest fabric remnant is actually a new toy destined for her toy box.

However, I've always been careful to quickly pick up anything that I think could cause harm to the dogs - like pins. I'd rather step on them myself than have one of these sweeties swallow one.
I've even secretly congratulated myself on how careful I've been.

Until this was found the other day.

You know what that is, right? Yep, the tip to a seam ripper.

Now I realize that the pieces of clear hard plastic and blue pen shaped plastic I found on the floor the other night was not a chewed up pen. Rather it was a chewed up seam ripper.

We're pretty fortunate that Abby - and I'm certain the culprit was Abby with her big powerful jaw and teeth - didn't attempt to swallow this piece after it snapped off.

This was a wake up call for me to double check the floor each and every time I enter and exit the sewing studio, not just when I tip over my pin box. Pin It

5 comments:

  1. How scary!
    When Lola was a puppy she would insist on chewing on my pin cushion. Just one of the many reasons she was in vet's office almost weekly to get x-rays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Sister! Jo visits me in the studio too and he believes anything that is within his reach is his to put in his mouth. Glad Sophia didn't eat it! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeek!
    When my dog Shadow was a puppy, I quickly learned never to leave pincushions in his read. He likes to pull the pins out! He doesn't try to eat them...he just makes a mess. But I'm taking no chances.
    BTW, my husband bought me a telescoping wand with a magnet on the end...great for picking up pins! It was only $2 at Big Lots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHHHH!!! I heard your voice, loved it. Actually, it's exactly as I figured it would be, Sharon. I'm calling tomorrow, don't throw the phone away. I sent a text but you may not get texts, idk. I was at the endodontists with Alex getting his root canals...he's well and I think we're going to try to get to church.

    You made my day.

    PS--you dodged a bullet with that seam ripper, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mosby has never met an object on the floor that he wouldn't eat. Even when he was a baby we'd spray things with the bitter apple no-chew sprays and he even began to like that. We've had several scares about him eating things. So glad your Abby didn't eat the tip to the seam ripper. I've thought about learning to make jewelry but I know what would happen if I ever spilled some beads.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin