Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Vogue 2989 Knit Skirt

I just finished a knit skirt to wear with one of the tees I completed this past weekend.

With just over a yard left of the fabric I knew my skirt choices would be limited but I did want more than a basic straight skirt with an elastic waistband. So I choose the skirt from Vogue 2989 . While I wasn't pleased with the way my version of jacket turned out, I did like the skirt. And I still have the jacket tucked away - perhaps I'll even get around to fixing the collar...

Anyway, here's another version of that skirt.

This is one short skirt pattern. I'm only 5' 5" and to hit my knee - with only a 1/2" hem - I needed to add 2-1/2" to the pattern.


I'm a believer that at a certain age, just because you can wear a short skirt doesn't mean you should.

The skirt itself is quite simple to construct. There are two front pieces and one back piece. On the front there is a left side seam that holds two pleats in place which form a small flounce.

After sewing the side seams, elastic is sewn to the inside of the skirt at the upper edge. Because my serger is still not working I simply used a zig-zag stitch to hold the elastic and skirt fabric together. Then the elastic is turned under and stitched in place forming a nice smooth casing. There is not a lot of ease at the waistline so there are no gathers.


Can you see the small pleat/flounce detail? This little design detail takes this basic knit skirt and kicks it up a notch.

This top will likely be worn with a jacket because, even though I thought I had been careful with my layout and cutting, I managed to strategically place part of the fabric pattern where I don't necessarily want it.
Next? Finish that turquoise jacket and work on a white one. Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Great looking outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that skirt. I was wondering if you noticed the design placement on the top - but it still looks fab! g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute outfit, the fabric is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great new skirt - I'll have to think seriously about pulling out that pattern now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great summer outfit. It looks really comfortable and it's very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great outfit! I'll be back to check on the jackets. I'm always looking for a white jacket that I can throw over anything in the summer. Do you have a pattern picked out yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! Love the colors!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great, and love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the two pieces together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice top and skirt. Love the knit fabric and the colors. Looks great on you. I need to try that skirt pattern.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin