Thursday, July 31, 2008

Burda 7828 Review Faux Wrap Knit Top

Yesterday when I completed this top (Burda 7828) I said that I liked it but didn't love it. It was that goofy side tie that sits right underneath the bust. No matter how much I fussed I just couldn't get it to look good.

So of course I went to PatternReview to read any reviews on this pattern looking for clues as to how to make it work. Well, I found clues alright - both reviewers eliminated the tie.

Ah ha! That sounded like the perfect solution to me so off with the tie. Five minutes of work and I now have a shirt that I still don't *love* but I like a whole lot more.

This shirt is so incredibly easy to sew - especially when you leave that pesky side tie off. The pattern calls for a decorative stretch lace to finish the neckline. I didn't have any of that stashed away, but I did have fold-over elastic in both white and black. Since I bought it about seven years ago I think it's about time I tried it, don't you agree?

Easy, easy, easy - and look what a nice clean finish it gives the neck edge.

I'm definitely going to be using the rest of my stash of fold-over elastic on future knit projects ... especially knowing that the white is dyeable so I'll be able to match any fabric I choose.

With the side tie gone I may even sew myself another one before handing off the pattern to J.

The full review is here Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I think it is cute with or without the tie. I love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like it without the tie also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the top! And, I was just surfing nyfashioncenterfabrics.com and found the foldover elastic in two sizes and every color you can think of. After seeing the way you used it, I may have to place an order!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin