Sunday, June 08, 2008

McCall's 5431 Skirt

I have a closet full of skirt, yet I continue to sew new ones. What can I say? I love skirts.

Such as this one. Another skirt from McCall's 5431 - same view as the one I sewed last spring.

It's a very full skirt but this one doesn't have as much movement as the one I sewed last year. That's because I used a heavier fabric.

The fabric, a stretch cotton sateen, was purchased a few weeks ago at Treadle Yard Goods. It has a fun retro vibe to it with shades of turquoise and green.

I thought of this skirt pattern as soon I saw the fabric but wasn't sure what color to use for the contrasting band. In my mind I was thinking black would be a safe choice, but I asked the two sales people at Treadle what they suggested. One of them immediately said she was pretty sure she had seen a coordinating green sateen in the remnant bin. She retrieved the remnant, the greens matched, and I went outside my comfort zone and added a green border. Now that is one reason why it's so wonderful to have an independent fabric store staffed with people who actually sew.

Now that the skirt is done I'm eager for the arrival of weather warm enough for me to actually wear the skirt!

In the meantime, I think my next sewing project will be a sHirt, not a sKirt! Pin It

10 comments:

  1. That skirt turned out great and I really like the green border! g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new skirt is beautiful and I like the green...I tend to play it safe with neutral borders too, but that really stands out. It'a funny...you sew bottoms and I seem to be stuck on tops!!! I am working on a couple skirts though to break out of that mold and I have some pants in mind too. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that green border. I am a skirt lover too which is silly up here in Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just LOVE this skirt!! That green is perfect with that cute print.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great skirt! Love the colors and the fact that you moved outside your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty and very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the green border!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing! Sharon I sure wish you were my neighbor, we'd sooo have fun sewing (no pun, but it was a good one!). You could teach me all you know. You could! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm the same way when it comes to skirts...seems that's all I ever sew anymore for myself.

    Your skirt is lovely!

    Ruth
    ~sewchic.blogspot~

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin