Friday, May 02, 2008

Flashback Friday - Summer 1974

Have you ever sewed from one pattern that you absolutely loved? One that you used over and over again?

I did. When I was fifteen I had a pattern for cropped smock tops that I used many times. I wore them all, but apparently my fave of the lot was the top with the curved yoke and small ruffled sleeves sewn from green gingham.

See that big smile? That's because I hadn't yet learned that green is not my color. Green was a popular color in the early 70s and as a teen my fabric choices were heavily influenced by what was trendy versus what worked best with my coloring.

Oh look! Here I am again wearing the same green smock top! This time I'm with my youngest sister who looks a whole lot more interested in whatever she's holding than in having her photo taken. That's because she would just ignore you when she got tired of you or something you were doing. She must have been sick and tired of my friends and I taking photos of her all the time.

Notice the recycled denim hat and shoulder bag located on the left side of the photo? Oh yea, I was into the green movement back then also. Too bad I can't locate a photo of my pants that were sewn entirely out of fabric scraps :-)
The shirt served me well as there's another photo of me wearing it soon after my daughter came home from the hospital in 1976. She's just over three months old in the photo and had only been released a few days earlier. I'm obviously exhausted, but isn't she just the cutest little sweetie-pie ever? (I've blogged about her birth before, but if you haven't read her story here's the post.)

This pattern, McCall's 4401 was one of my few TNT (tried and true) patterns. (I located a copy in an Etsy shop if you're interested.)

Perhaps I should take a clue from my sewing past and spend more time working to identify some new TNT patterns. Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I love it Sharon! I made the same denim hat and purse out of recycled jeans! Remeber slitting them up the side and adding a panel to make them wide legged. I did that with my favorite pair of levis and hand embroidered little feet all the way from the hem to my hip. I used to do that for my oldest brothers jeans too...for a price...that's how I snagged most of my Beatles and Eagles albums! Thanks for stirring up a nice Flashback for me...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always - great post. What I want to know is do you still have that top? g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang Sharon, did you keep every pattern you ever owned? :) I am almost sure that I had a pattern like that and a top like that back in the day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you could sew this pattern up today and be a hit-those are very cool tops! Of course I think the model wearing them is simply adorable, but shhhh! she'll get a big head if I tell her! :)

    I love your stories behind the sewing, Sharon. And I wish I had spent time with a machine when I was young. Might have been a little less apt to hunt down trouble. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable style, no wonder you liked it so much to have kept it this long. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin