Friday, May 23, 2008

Flashback Friday - Mazatlan 1979

I don't know about the weather where you live, but here it felt as if winter would never end. The long cold dreary days dragged well into April and May. You know the saying "April showers bring May flowers"...well, we wondered if that included April snow showers since we had many of those also.

The cold weather lasted long enough that we wished we had made plans for a warm weather getaway - like Mexico. I've only vacationed in Mexico twice. Once in Mazatlan in 1979 and again in the Mayan Riveria in 2004.

Half the fun of planning a getaway is sewing the vacation wardrobe, right? These vacations were no exception.

As I was going through my pattern collection, deciding which to keep and which to put in my Etsy shop, I came across McCall's 7594, a pattern I used in 1979 to quickly whip up some knit tops to bring along. Obviously I couldn't sell it. Not only is it destined for the sewing scrapbook, the pattern is incomplete - all that remains is the inside envelope and pattern pieces for one view.

Did you notice this pattern includes a wrap top version that is just as current today as it was 29 years ago. (Was it really 29 years ago?!?) I sewed every version *except* the wrap version.

My fave, however, was the off the shoulder number. Sewn in horizontal rainbow stripes, modeled here with a pair of white cotton short shorts. See? That tiny little speck right in the center of the rock formation. You can see it right?


I may not have a warm weather vacation planned, but I do have plans to spend the day by the river with hubby. And the weather is predicted to reach almost 70 F! Now if only I could find my sunscreen... Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin