Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Another step closer to completing the fifties dress

After pleating the skirt portion and basting it to the bodice I realized I needed to remove two inches from the waist. While I prefer my dresses to fit loosely, to maintain the fifties look the waist on this dress needed to be more fitted.

The faux pocket flaps are sewn over the side seams and I didn't wish to remove them, so rather than take in the waist at the side seams, I added a second dart in the back of the bodice. That meant redoing the pleats in the center back of the dress to match the smaller center back waist ...sigh, more math.

The fun adventure with this dress has been following the 1951 instructions. For example, the seams have been finished with a pinking shears rather than a serger or zig-zag stitch. Another item in the instructions was the addition of seam binding along the waist seam to act as a stay. I even found vintage seam binding to use for that step.


All that's left now is to add the pom-pom trim around the neckline, sew the buttonholes, buttons, snaps, and hem. With only one more day left before the event, I may cheat and sew the buttons in place with snaps and add proper buttonholes later on.

Question - I was just going to add black buttons, but o you think it needs pink to match the pom-pom trim? Pin It

5 comments:

  1. I might skip the pompoms at the neckline and put them around the hem instead. Where are the buttons going? Front or back - if front, pink but if in the back - I'd say go with black. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am going to be contentious and vote for pink! *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I vote for pink too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pink! Most definitely. Pink.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin