Saturday, April 12, 2008

The 100 Skirt Project - "I've Got a Secret"

Are you all aware of Charity's 100 skirt project? If not, click here and you can read through all of her posts on the subject. I love her idea and am thrilled that she was willing to have others help with the sewing.

My first contribution is a girl's size 12 skirt, "I"ve Got a Secret". No pattern was needed as it's just a simple a-line skirt with an elastic waist. I referenced an old Simplicity Sewing for Children book to determine what the waist size should be.

The skirt is sewn from two coordinating fabrics that are medium weight - almost like a twill - with great big pockets on the front. I played with the layout of the stripes on the pockets and didn't even realize until I took the photos that one pocket is vertical and the other is horizontal. I think I'll call that a design element!

The pockets have a small fold over flap that is sewn in place by machine. To disguise the machine stitches a fabric yo-yo and button were sewn at the corner of each pocket.


But why did I name this skirt "I've Got a Secret"? Because there's a secret pocket that can be accessed by pulling up the blue flap.

The final step is to purchase a matching tee-shirt to complete the outfit.

One skirt down, and five more to go. Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Cute skirt! Love the new blog heading...good job...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for passing on the word about the 100 skirt project - I hadn't heard of it. What a wonderful idea. Your skirt is adorable! I'm going to have to look into participating...
    --Gwen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin