Friday, March 28, 2008

Flashback Friday - 1985 and the tropical shorts

1985.

Big hair, bold colors, and big tropical prints.

Why? I don't know.

But, being the fashionista that I was you know I was right there. See? I even have proof.

Big permed hair, big button earrings, big oversized shirt and big bright baggy front pleated, very full, partial elastic waist shorts. Yes, I sewed a pair of front pleated and very full shorts in a tropical print and wore them proudly.

The pattern was McCall's 9519, c. 1985. A Shari Belafonte-Harper design for shorts and suspenders. I remember thinking the paper-bag waist shorts were cute but would make me look fat. Good grief, I doubt at that time in my life anything would have made me look fat, lol.

So, no paper-bag waist or suspenders for me. I only sewed view F - the shorts you see me wearing in the photo above - as well as view C and D.

I kept the pattern envelope, but tossed the actual pattern pieces years ago...I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to use a shorts pattern cut to a size 6 (yes! size 6). Besides who needs shorts? Just give me some nice cotton skirts and adorable sandals and I'm ready for the summer heat. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. How funny! I do believe there are some full tropical print shorts in my past, also! Big hair, too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin