Wednesday, January 23, 2008

McCall's 5532 Non-Stop Wardrobe Pattern

In my continued quest to update my professional work wardrobe I purchased this McCall's Non-Stop Wardrobe pattern (number 5532). I was drawn to the jacket - the princess seaming, the shawl collar, the bishop sleeves, and the skinny self-fabric belt with bow trim.

This style is a bit out of the norm for me as I typically wear suit jackets unbuttoned with a tee or blouse underneath. However, the director of the department where I now work wears a lot of skirt suits like this and she always looks classy, polished and professional. I figured if it works for her it might work for me, so I gave it a try.

The chosen fabric was a black and white mini- houndstooth tropical weight wool originally purchased for the vintage swing jacket from Simplicity 4047. While the mini-houndstooth was really too small for that vintage look it worked great for this suit top. (I'm not sewing the matching belt until after I cut out the skirt as I want to make sure I have enough fabric.)

The best part? The silk charmeause lining! Thank you, thank you, thank you Shannon for writing your post about using Fabric Mart's $4.99 silks as linings. I doubt I would have thought of it otherwise and oh! having that silk hidden inside is such a luxurious feeling!

As for the pattern...well, it went together quite nicely. A few adjustments were made to the pattern pieces before I sewed the jacket - an FBA (of course), shortening the sleeves by one inch, and sway back adjustment.

I found myself adjusting the top *a lot* when I wore it to work which tells me I didn't have the fit right. I think the upper chest area ended up too large and could use some tweaking the next time around. All things considered, it was an easy jacket to construct and I think I'll do a bit of tweaking and sew myself another one.

By the way, did I mention how much I love the yummy silk charmeause lining?

Pin It

18 comments:

  1. I love this jacket on you! It looks fantastic. I love the sleeves. I love how they are puffy in a very chic/cute not goony way. I love the silk lining. What a fabulous jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your jacket looks fabulous in you - I definitely think you can pull off this look. You'll be giving the department director a run for her (fashion) money! Love the lining - I just pulled out that very fabric - I'm thinking of lining a suit with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic on you. I love the lining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous - very "corporate chic" and I love the lining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's absolutely gorgeous, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, LOVE how this jacket turned out. You look Fabulous!

    Second, THANK YOU for reviewing this. I have had my eye on this pattern and was curious how the sleeve finish would look. I LOVE it! I will definitely be picking this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your jacket is just fabulous! I love the lining! I have looked at this pattern a few times but hadn't picked it up yet. Now I might have too.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful. Can't wait to see the whole look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful jacket - inside, outside, and on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it certainly is wonderful, looks really good on you. Seems it will be a very versatile piece in your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous, fabulous jacket, Sharon!! I love the details of the collar and cuffs, it makes it distinctive - elegantly so. :)
    Wonderful lining of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS: thank you, by the way! You just brought another phrase to my sewing lexicon - bishop sleeves. Now don't ask me how it's said in French - I don't know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cyndi2:57 PM

    Love how your jacket turned out! I've looked at this pattern a couple of times with interest. Your review of it is very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous! The fit is great and I *love* the lining!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What a great looking jacket. So *that's* what silk charmeuse is good for... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. marty4:13 PM

    Your jacket turned out great. Love the lining and the sleeves. Now, how is the skirt coming? You look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How great is this on you! I love the silhouette, I love the lining, and it never hurts to dress as well as the level above you at work! Thanks for a wonderful review of the pattern. I bought this jacket also and want to add it to my spring/summer suit line-up.

    Can't wait to see the next incarnation of the jacket and the matching skirt for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just reading reviews at PR this AM and ran across your review. Love this jacket and yes, the lining is yummy! Nice job. I have had my eye on that pattern, good to see your review.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin