Friday, December 14, 2007

Flashback Friday - Christmas 1979



‘Tis the season for holiday parties!

This 1979 photo is from a company-sponsored children’s Christmas party. My children enjoyed this holiday tradition for the seven years I worked at that company.

A chance to spend the day treated as special guests of honor snacking on cookies and punch, playing games, receiving gifts, and whispering their secret heart's desires into Santa's ear. (This is the same company party where I recruited to play the part of the Christmas elf for a few years.)

It was a fun family-friendly event that my children looked forward to every year. It was also an event where they donned their Christmas finery.

I sewed both outfits that my little ones are wearing - the little blue suit and plaid shirt and the long dress with smocking across the bodice.

The long dress was sewn from a lilac colored broadcloth, because broadcloth fit my budget at the time. The smocking, which was my first attempt at smocking, was done by hand using embroidery thread on my work breaks…in the restroom.

I know, I know – yuk! Let me explain.

This particular company allowed two 10-minute breaks – one in the morning and one in the afternoon – but we were not allowed to leave our work area. That meant we were unable to go to the lower level staff lounge to purchase a soda or snack and sit and visit. Since there were no break areas designed in the work areas we all went into the bathroom and sat on the floor for our breaks. Eeew, I still cringe today remembering how awful that was.

Well, all’s well that ends well and this sweet little dress looked adorable on her. I never did attempt another smocking project. And I never worked for another company that did not have a break area for its employees.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! The bathroom floor??? Using thetime to sew... now, that's dedication!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin