Monday, December 17, 2007

Candy Cane Cookie Recipe

Candy Cane Cookies

1 c. shortening (half butter)
1 c. powdered sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
2-1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
red food coloring
1/2 c. crushed peppermint candy
1/2 c. granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degree F.

Mix shortening, sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla thoroughly. Mix in flour and salt. Divide dough in half. Blend red food coloring into one half.

Roll a 4" strip of dough of each color. (Use about 1 tsp. of dough.) Roll them using the palm of your hands on a lightly floured surface until smooth. If dough is too sticky add a bit more flour; if dough breaks apart add a bit more butter.

Place the two dough strips side by side, press together lightly and twist like a rope. This is easier to do if your strips are narrow. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and curve the top half to form the candy cane handle.

Bake about 9 minutes or until lightly browned. While warm, sprinkle with mixture of candy and sugar. We substituted Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips.

This recipe, taken from my 1976 Betty Crocker's Cooky Book, is a favorite that my children helped me bake ever since they were toddlers.

Supposedly this recipe produces 4 dozen cookies. We weren't very meticulous when we rolled out our dough because we were so busy visiting so our candy cane cookies ended up super-sized! All the better! Now we can feel smug about only eating one (secretly knowing we're eating two.)

And I'll have the chocolate kisses recipe for your tomorrow - that was my younger sister's contribution and she forgot to leave the recipe with me. But you can be sure she remembered to take her share of the cookies! Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sharon!! I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds so good! My boys are mint-monsters so I'll do this one with them. But I look forward to the chocolate kiss recipe for me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin