Sunday, December 02, 2007

Butterick 5087 Easy Front-Wrap Jacket Review

Butterick 5087 "Easy" jacket and belt. I sewed view A, the one with the three-quarter length sleeve with ruffle, to test the fit and style.

Isn't that collar great? I used a plaid to showcase the bias cut of the collar, but I think the collar also lends itself well to some embellishment opportunities.

This simple little wrap jacket requires 3-1/2 yards of 45" fabric (almost 3 yards of 60" fabric) for a size 12! That's because of the huge collar. I couldn't believe how large the pattern pieces were when I pulled them out of the envelope!

This princess-seamed jacket is held closed with a snap sewn to the right side of the jacket. I think it also needs a snap on the left side to keep the front edge from slipping down. In theory the belt should cover the snap closure, but it doesn't when I wear it.

While I did my usual FBA (full bust adjustment) I didn't lengthen the front enough. Because my bust is large and I'm short-waisted, if I wear the belt as shown on the pattern cover (covering the snap closure), it appears as if I'm wearing an empire waist belt!

The fabric was a pain-in-the-rear polyester plaid purchased last year from Fabric Mart. It was difficult to work with - it raveled like crazy and was a bit slippery. It's not possible to wear the self-fabric belt without additional adjustments as it would slip out of the belt buckle. I may just wear the jacket with a black belt. While it's not my favorite jacket style, I do plan on sewing another one - this time out of some good quality fabric! The style would be cute paired with jeans for the weekend and a pencil skirt for work weekdays.

The entire pattern review can be read at Patternreview. Pin It

17 comments:

  1. The jacket is just darling Sharon! I have been eyeing RTW and patterns of this style, but I wasn't sure about the big collar. I may have to give it a go...thanks...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon that jacket looks great. You are "back in the saddle again!" By the way - I love the doggy post about Abby's first snow. Beau & Lucy love the snow we just got our first snow yesterday. g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love this!!! Very snazzy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon - what a great jacket! These jackets are definitely bringing your work wardrobe up to the "professional" level. And even though the fabric was a pain to deal with, it made an awesome jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, wonderful jacket. Now that is a portrait collar! I love the ruffle sleeve, such an up-to-date detail. Can't wait to see the "good quality" one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really digging that jacket. Now I have to see if I have something comparable - because I just plain refuse to buy another pattern. Let's see if I can hold out; 'case I really like that jacket. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. stacysews7:05 AM

    It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great style! I like how it looks with the black belt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful jacket! Looks so comfy at the same time as it is stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric may have been a PITA, but the results are fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, Sharon, it's absolutely stunning. I'd LOVE to see you in this jacket, you'd look gorgeous in this! I want on in pink, okay? Scrap the pink jacket (have you mailed it already) and go ahead and make this! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your jacket, very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How stylish!! I loved that pattern the instant I saw it. For me, though, I was afraid it'd be quite the challenge to alter it as to not be falling off my shoulders all the time. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooooh I really like this. And well done with the fabric - plaid is so hard to cut out even without it ravelling and slipping!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I love it! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura TS8:10 PM

    Wow, that is *quite* the collar! Do you like the proportions? I'd love to see a picture of it on you. Looks great with the bias.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought this pattern 2 weeks ago. you did a great job! you are such a fashion diva

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin