Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Breaktime at the flannel factory - let's play tag

Stacy tagged me with this Holiday Questionnaire. She was looking for a break from packing for her big move and I’m taking a break from the pajama factory. I'm on a break because we are leaving in 20 minutes to attend a dinner theater performance of Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Whoo-hoo! I love theater, I love the show Joseph, and I love to eat, so I'm pretty excited!

Here's my answers to the holiday tag:

1) Wrapping paper or gift bags? Gift bags – for ease of wrapping as well as reuse-ability. I dislike wrapping paper as I keep thinking of all the waste that is created that ends up in our landfills.

2) Real tree or artificial? Artificial. It disturbs me that a tree is cut down, put on display for a few weeks, and then tossed to the curb when the season is over.

3) When do you put up your tree? On my dad’s birthday – Dec. 6.

4) When do you take the tree down? On my daughter’s birthday – Jan. 2. Pretty convenient having relatives with birthdays that bookend Christmas.

5) Do you like eggnog? Eeew, no! But I wouldn’t turn down a class of bubbly to celebrate the season.

6) Favorite gift received as a child? A hand-held transistor radio – so my tween self could hang out with my girlfriends and listen to rock and roll and bubble gum tunes on the local AM Top 40 station. And if that doesn’t show my age…

7) Do you have a Nativity scene? Yes. I love nativity scenes. My favorite is one I received years and years ago from my best friend. Her husband built the stable and included a music box that plays Silent Night. When she gave it to me she included moss, tinsel and potpourri for the stable floor. Every year when I set it up I remember her watching me as I opened that gift.

8) The hardest person to buy for? My husband! He has so many tools that I can never remember the name of the latest and greatest one he might have mentioned when browsing at Home Depot.

Although he has this weird fascination with flashlights so I can never go wrong giving him a new flashlight.

9) The easiest person to buy for? My daughter. That girl has been happy with each and every gift she ever received. It's easy for me to find things that would bring a smile to her face!

10) The worst Christmas gift you ever received? A muffin tin, which in itself is a fine gift – from your children, not from a ‘serious’ boyfriend. Apparently he had asked my kids what I wanted and they said a muffin tin (because I told my kids that so they could give me a gift they could afford to purchase).

But wait, the gift giving only gets better - the following year he gave me blanket-thingy to wrap up in while watching television. The muffin tin I kept, but you do understand that the blanket-thingy and the boy had to go.

11) Mail or e-mail Christmas cards? Mail. If you’re on my mailing list you will soon be receiving our annual photo card that includes the entire family – my husband and I along with our dogs, Abby and Sophia - whether you like it or not.

12) Favorite Christmas movie? It’s A Wonderful Life.

13) When do you start shopping for Christmas? I should probably start that soon don’t you think?

14) Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Not yet. Let’s wait and see what Santa leaves this year.

15) Favorite things to eat at Christmas? Oooooo, yummy question. When I was young it was my grandfather’s famous fudge. Now it’s my sister D’s homemade caramels and my sister S’s homemade Peppermint Patties. Do you think I might have a problem with my sugar intake?

16) Clear lights or colored on the tree? Colored, but my husband prefers clear. I win since I decorate.

17) Favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night. It brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

18) Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home.

19) Can you name all Santa's reindeer? Only if I sing “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”, and trust me, you don’t want me to do that.

20) Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel.

21) Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Eve with my relatives and Christmas Day with my husband's relatives.

22) Most annoying thing about this time of year? The Christmas songs and décor that begin appearing in the stores before Halloween. I’m old enough to remember the magic of seeing the stores transform into Christmas wonderlands the day after Thanksgiving.

23) What is the "corniest" family tradition you do or miss doing? Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without my dad showing up wearing his Christmas tie. The tackier the better. And if it doesn’t play music we would all wonder why he bothered to wear the tie at all.

24) Ugliest Christmas decorations ever invented? Those big, filled- with-air lawn ornaments.

25) Which looks the best...theme trees or homey trees? Both of them. I wish I had a themed tree but my tree decorations consist of a mix-match of ornaments that I’ve accumulated over the years.

26) What does Christmas mean to you? I love celebrating the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ. When I stop to remember that He choose to enter this world as an infant … I have no words to express my amazement and gratitude.

Oh that was fun, at least for me. I’m tagging another Stacey…even though she took absolutely f-o-r-e-v-e-r to respond to my last tag, LOL!

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Oh yeah? Well Miss Muffin Tin--I happen to have had my eye on this tag and I've wanted to be tagged for it! So EVEN if GiGi never comes by my blog, I'm blogging it before midnight tonight. Or noon tomorrow. Whichever I do first. Promise on top of your pile of flannel, I will.

    PS--eggnog is not ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly on #24- those things are so horribly tacky, and as mean as it is, I always have this urge to pop them when I see them!

    Don't blame you a bit for trading in on the Muffin Tin Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right! Muffin tin- blankey boy had to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. muffin tin? hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The deed...is done!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin