Monday, November 05, 2007

The Perfect Pant Fitting Adventure - Muslin Number Two (post five)

The Perfect Pant Fitting Adventure
Muslin Number Two

Not knowing what to do with the pant muslin I posted a cry for help on the Patternreview boards (you'll need to sign in to view the message boards). As usual, my cry for help was heard and answered.

Two members suggested I try a muslin using the pattern without alterations first - just add extra width to the seams.

It sounded like good advice to me so I quickly pulled another piece of fabric out of the stash to be sacrificed for the sake of a great fitting pair of pants.

I cut out the pattern - no alterations this time - with an extra 1" around the entire pattern piece.


I quickly sewed the darts, stay stitched the waist, and sewed all of the seams together using a 1" seam allowance. Essentially I ended up increasing my original pattern by 5/8" all around since the pattern had a 5/8" seam allowance built in. This worked out well as this Burda pattern is designed to be close-fitting and I don't want my final pant to fit that closely.


The front view of the striped muslin with no alterations - this appears to be a much better initial fit than the first muslin.


The back view of the striped muslin with no alterations. Obviously work will need to be done but the initial fit is much better than the first muslin.

The side view of the striped muslin with no alterations and before adding the elastic at the waist. I think this is probably too much ease to try and fit into a waistband so some adjustments will need to be made.


The side view of the striped muslin with no alterations and the waist elastic added. Again a better initial fit even though work will need to be done.

My next step is to make a few adjustments to this pattern and make the final pant muslin for class.
  • Transfer my back crotch curve onto the back pattern piece
  • Shorten the knee location to match my original pattern alteration
  • Lengthen the pant leg to match my original pattern alteration
  • Cut out my "real" muslin and sew it - complete with waistband and zipper before class Wednesday.
I sure am grateful for the generosity of Patternreview members!


Come back again for a report on muslin number two using the second altered pattern.

The perfect pant fitting adventure post one here; post two here; post three here; post four here.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Yay, your blog feeds are back! :) Thank you for fixing whatever caused the problem.
    Pants can be so challenging to fit. They scare me sometimes! I admire your tenacity and perfectionism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going a whole different direction with this....what do you do to get abs as nice as yours? In a non-weird way, I ask. I like the stripe muslin, I think you should wear those to the coasters with me. xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin