Sunday, November 25, 2007

I'm back and still not sewing

Whew, what a whirlwind week...and we didn't even travel anywhere!

Well, that's not a completely true statement. We did indeed travel to the sewing machine dealer to drop off my machine for repair. But that was it. No shopping for us - even after we were given a newspaper filled with ads designed to tempt us to part with our hard earned money. Did you know that the paper that was delivered on Thanksgiving had so many ads that it weighed five pounds?

I didn't shop because I vowed years ago that I would not shop the day after Thanksgiving. If you've read my blog for awhile, you know that I was a single mother for many years. We rarely received child support so for ten of those years I worked two jobs. My second job was in retail which meant I always worked the day after Thanksgiving. I'm telling you - that was the worst day to be a retail sales associate.

So what did I do since I was boycotting the huge sales? I could have sewn if I would have pulled my old Kenmore out, but instead I choose to inventory my fabric stash. Now that was an eye opener!

I unburied a few beautiful pieces of fabric, but I also unburied too many pieces of cheap, low-quality fabric. I've decided that I'm no longer wasting my time and money on low-quality fabric. I don't like working on it and my sewing time is too valuable to waste sewing with it, especially if it produces a cheap looking garment. If I can't afford good quality fabric then I'll do without.

Now that the fabric closet has been cleared and the fabric categorized, I'm hopeful that I can convince my dear hubby to install shelving in my sewing room closet so I can neatly store all of my fabric. Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for hanging out with your fabric over the weekend. I always schedule myself to work and be with the new mommy's and their wee bairns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,

    I endorse your decision of not sewing on cheap fabrics - I decided years ago that my time was worth far more than clothing that would last only a few washings. So if I sew, it is on good fabric (though not necessarily too expensive - I relish a true fabric sale!). Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate on the cheap fabric issue, my sewing time is very limited especially with the holidays and family time, I am feeling the need to make sure that everything I touch is worth the time and effort

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin