Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sometimes patterns just don't work out

Ah Vogue 2989. I had such high hopes for you
  • Your easy to sew raglan sleeves
  • Your nipped in waist
  • Your cute little peplum
  • Your slightly s*xy skirt with the pleated detail.
How did it all go so wrong?

This is one of those sewing projects that make you go "Ugh! This isn't at all what I envisioned!" Followed by "Why did I just waste four yards of gorgeous fabric not to mention precious sewing hours on this?!?"
  • The construction should have been simple - the pattern is rated "easy".
  • The shape should have worked for me - peplums and shawl collars usually work on my figure.
  • The fabric should have been the perfect choice - the suggested fabrics include wool jersey, cotton knit, and matte jersey. This is a lovely chocolate brown knit - unknown fiber content but likely a rayon/Lycra blend - it has a nice hand, isn't too lightweight and drapes beautifully.
All of these factors combined contributed to the disappointment of this jacket.
  • The construction actually was simple - but for some reason I just could not get that darn wide collar to lay correctly! It's still not right but I gave up, dressed GiGi in it and snapped a photo.
  • The shape is not working - and it's that darn collar that just isn't right.
  • The fabric is wrong - the jacket needed a texture to hide the hand stitching that is needed to make that darn collar look right.
All is not lost - hate the jacket, but LOVE the skirt. Just gotta figure out what to pair it with.

Detailed review is posted at Patternreview Pin It

4 comments:

  1. the collar doesn't look nearly that wide on the patter photo. It reminds me of LA Law - remember that? Love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you hate it right now, but give it a rest and look at the jacket again. I looked at the enlargement and can see nothing wrong. I like it. How does it look when you put it on? And...the skirt is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, how disappointing! But I agree, look at it later and see what you can make of it then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite like this outfit, not sure what you dislike about it. Maybe, as suggested, if you put it away for a few days then re-visit.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin