Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Sew a simple, reversible Halloween trick or treat bag

What? Who said Halloween bags had to look Halloweenie? (Is that a word?)

No need to send your kids out with a pillowcase this year when you can make this simple to sew Halloween reversible trick or treat bag. No pattern needed. And it has pockets!

This particular trick or treat bag was sewn to coordinate with a lame fish costume a certain five-year-old I know will be wearing.

Note: When I refer to side one, I am referring to the blue fabric. When I refer to side two, I am referring to the pink fabric.

Cut out fabric rectangles
  • Side One = Cut 1 rectangle 16" x 29"
  • Side Two = Cut 1 rectangle 16" x 29"
  • Pocket on Side Two = Cut 1 rectangle 9" x 29"
  • Facing = Cut 1 rectangle 4" x 29"
  • Handles = Cut 2 rectangles 4-1/2" x 20"


To make pocket on Side Two
  • Fold under 1/2" on one long edge (29") of the pocket fabric.
  • Press and top stitch in place.
  • Place the pocket on top of side two with the wrong side of pocket to right side of bag matching the side and bottom edges.
  • Baste in place.
  • Measure 9" from each side edge and mark.
  • Sew the pocket to Side two along the marked line.



Sew body of bag
  • Side One and Two = fold in half right sides together
  • Stitch the side edge in a 1/2" seam.
  • Stitch the bottom edge in a 1/2" seam.

Make bag bottom corners
  • Match the side seam (or side edge) to the bottom seam, forming a point.
  • Measure 1" in from the point and mark.
  • Sew on the marked line forming the corner of the tote.





Sew bags together
  • With wrong sides together, slip bag side one into bag side two matching the top raw edges.
  • Pin in place.
  • Baste together 1/2" from the raw edge to hold the two bags together.



Add handles
  • Measure 2" in from each side.
  • Pin one handle on one side of the bag 2" in matching raw edges.
  • Repeat for the other side.
  • Stitch handles in place.


Add facing
  • Fold facing in half, wrong sides together, matching short edges.
  • Stitch together in a 1/2" seam
  • Press seam open.
  • Press under 1/2" on one long edge of the facing.
  • Pin facing to Side Two, wrong side of facing to right side of bag, matching top edges.
  • Stitch together in a 1/2" seam.
  • Turn facing to Side One and press in place.
  • Top stitch the lower edge of the facing to Side One.
  • Top stitch the upper edge of the facing.
  • NOTE: The top stitching will show on Side Two so decide before you top stitch if you want to use a contrasting or matching thread.
  • I used YLI Glow Bug glow in the dark thread for the top stitching.



Admire new reversible trick or treat bag
  • Turn bag to side one - admire.




  • Turn bag to side two - admire


  • Repeat while trying to decide which to use for Halloween.
  • Done! That was easy wasn't it?

And just to please you traditionalists - the next trick or treat bag will be sewn from this Happy Halloween fabric!

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Great idea for a kids bag!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon!!! Cute bag!!!

    Yea... when a ToTer comes with a pillowcase... gives me the WILLIES... um... I always wonder if they just pulled the pc off their bed pillow??? I just HAND those ToTers their loot... LOL...

    I'm sure the little "guppy" will appreciate such a nicely co-ordinated bag!!!

    Lala :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable!

    If I say Trick or Treat very nicely, will you make me one? Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see that fabulous pumpkin fabric done up before Halloween--I'm a Halloween fan, no two ways about it!

    Thanks for the birthday with, my fabulous friend, Sharon--and if you come back tomorrow and wish me a happy birthday, that'd be fine, but it really IS today. (you drinking blue cocktails too?) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute bag! Between your site and Stacey's outfits, I'm so intrigued by this sewing thing. Maybe it's time for me to learn a new gig. (It makes me giggle thinking about me using needles!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon~thanks for delurking at my blog! Wow. You are an amazing sewer, a skill I never mastered. I got a C in sewing in 7th grade. My now 19yo got an A in his sewing class!

    A pleasure to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin