Monday, October 01, 2007

Does repairing clothing count as sewing?

If making repairs counts as sewing, then I have done a lot of sewing lately! Replacing broken zippers, sewing on missing buttons, re-hemming hems that have come undone, and blah, blah, blah...



The most rewarding repair was a child's Halloween costume. Last summer, my girlfriend had picked up this blue/purple/green lame fish costume in a thrift store for $4.

It was in great shape with the exception of a few seams that were beginning to ravel - which, if you've sewn lame before you know it is notorious for doing that - and I assured her I could fix it.




And a simple fix it was. I covered the frayed seam by appliquéing a colorful cotton patch over the top of it. I added one on the other side also so it looks as if it was part of the original design.

It's such a cute little costume.

I'm working on a coordinating trick-or-treat bag. After all, if you're going to wear a costume this cute you might as well go all out. Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I want you to be my neighbor Sharon. You have a heart of gold and I'd even give you the keys...and throw in a remote to the garage! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon!!! What a nice friend you are!!! (And what a great deal on the costume your friend got! Was it the same thirft shop that the beautiful buttons came from???)

    lala :o)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin