Sunday, September 09, 2007

Vogue 2933 Pattern Review - Sandra Betzina Skirt Pattern

This is the same review I posted on PR so if you've already stopped by PR and read the review you don't need to waste your time reading this one, unless you want to see additional photos.

This post is a bit narcissistic - I mean, how many photos of me wearing this skirt do you really care to see? My excuse is that Abby (aka Abby Dabby Do, Abs of Steel, Abby Cadaby, Abra Cadabra or the big sweet girl) was busy searching for toads while I was taking photos and I captured her in a few of the shots.

Oh! Before you go, let me add this. I hadn't worn the skirt yet when I posted the review on PR and I didn't think I was going to like the skirt. Wrong! I like it - it is so comfortable to wear and it reminds me of wearing a Sewing Workshop or Issey Miyake type skirt.

2933V One Side Out

2933V outside abby

2933v Outside

2933Drapes Out

Pattern Description:
Vogue 2933, Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina for an a-line skirt with attached drape and elastic waist. A pattern for a small pouch is also included

Pattern Sizing:All sizes in one envelope - A (waist 26-1/2) to J (waist 50-1/2)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Not really

Were the instructions easy to follow?
I read Dorothy K's review of this skirt while in the midst of trying to decide if I wanted to sew a skirt or a dress from a piece of fabric I had pulled out of my stash.The colors in the floral print looked horrible against my face and I liked Dorothy K's skirt so much that I decided to sew one myself.

From the time I read her review to the time I hung the skirt in the closet was two hours. That included pulling out the pattern, cutting it out, sewing it up, taking a photo, and putting it away.

The skirt consists of a front and back slightly a-line skirt piece, two side drape pieces, and a separate waistband piece.

The first step is to hem the skirt with a one inch hem - so it's important to determine the length of your skirt before you begin.

Next, each side drape panel is folded in half and sewn together on two sides. One long edge is left open - this is the edge that is sewn to the skirt side seam.

I can see how the instructions for attaching the drape could be confusing, but if you follow along it will work. Essentially, the side seam of one front and one back are sewn to one drape in one continuous seam. The instructions call this a horseshoe seam - I've never heard that term before. Can somebody explain what it means?

2933VSideDrapeSeam

Because of the way this drape is sewn on it is important on this skirt that you mark the notches and circles. Maybe you're like me and you don't always mark everything but for this skirt you'll make it easier on yourself if you do.

The waistband is a separate piece that is folded in half lengthwise (wrong sides together) and sewn to the top edge of the skirt. The one seam in the waistband is the center back seam and that is where the elastic is inserted.

One inch elastic is called for but I used 3/4" as that is what I had on hand. The instructions call for the elastic to be 4" less than your waist measurement - I didn't measure mine....honestly I just want to pretend that it is still 22 inches I just secured a piece tightly around my waist and used it. Depending on the weight of the fabric you choose, you may need to make the elastic even smaller - this is also noted in the instructions.

My skirt is heavy and the side seams pull down ever so slightly due to the weight of the side drape but its not noticeable when the skirt is worn. I think a lighter weight fabric is needed to really make this skirt work. As I was sewing it I kept thinking "this is too heavy, it won't work, I'm wasting my time". But I kept at it and the skirt actually looks better on than I thought it would.

Fabric Used:
A polyester knit purchased from Vogue Fabrics when they were in town for the sewing expo last fall. With this year's expo on the horizon (November) I wanted to make sure everything I purchased last year was sewn so I could purchase more this year guilt free. In retrospect I should have used it for the dress I was contemplating and just put a black band near my face.

2933VSkirt
Conclusion An easy skirt to sew with an interesting and unique side drape. Just be careful with your fabric choice. Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Sharon, skirt--lovely. As always, and of course I'm partial to its owner.

    I truly appreciated your comment and as soon as I have that answer, I'll let you know (ha!). You are exactly right--people tend to stay away regardless of how inviting. I believe there are two primary reasons: 1) what you said..they're afraid of being 'seen'. I couldn't look our pastor in the eye for FOUR years because I just knew he wouldn't like me for my past and sometimes present mistakes--even though he never made me feel that way. 2) not ready. It's a big step to take, knowing it's life-changing and knowing you will eventually say good-bye to what I call the "Saturday night fun night". We work too hard, we're overloaded, so we don't want to give up our weekend in any way.

    I've never given my pastor the url to my blog, although he knows I have one. Our youth pastor has it, but not Chuck. (again, I think that whole...what would he THINK). But I may do that because the comments to that post are so insightful, I want to know what he thinks about them. xoxoxo

    PS--I try to give more credence to the mustard seed than in my ability to make change...I believe in the mustard seed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,

    That skirt looks so comfy, and cute! Love it with the black top.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, and being so encouraging! I got lots to learn but this is so fun, and meeting you and others. BTW, I'm originally from MN, far west Mpls 'burb- Mound!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,
    Thanks for the review. The instructions for the side panels just didn't make sense till I read your review.

    Oh..and Abby is too cute!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin