Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Simplicity 3627 Jacket Review - aka the cropped graduate gown

I stopped at Joann's last week to pick up Simplicity 3631 - now don't pretend you don't know which one I'm talking about. It's that wonderful Sew Stylish pattern featured in the latest Sew Stylish magazine.

While there I spotted a display of Simplicity "Fall Fashion Trends" patterns. One just hopped right into my basket - Simplicity 0613 - or 3627 as it is goes by in the pattern catalog. (I'm pretty easily distracted so marketing techniques work well on me.)

So anyway, I get home and I have a decision to make. You see, I've got a piece of light pink wool crepe eagerly awaiting its turn to be sewn into a little cropped swing jacket. All I had to do was choose a pattern...3631 or 3627...3631 or 3627...3631 or 3627

Well, 3627 seduced me with the pretty picture of the yoked, cropped, three-button jacket made up in a brown plaid. Hmmm, I think that would look downright purty in pink wool worn with black this winter.

Being the cheap, I mean frugal, person that I am, I didn't want to cut into the wool crepe without knowing for sure if this would fit me properly. What to do, what to do. I really wanted to sew something quickly (which seems to be all that I ever have time for these days) yet wearable.

Aha! I can always use another black jacket, after all black jackets are like black shoes. They may all be black but each pair is different and each pair serves a unique purpose. You can *never* have too many pairs of black shoes, right? (Okay I just wrote that on the off chance that DH might be reading this, LOL)

So I dug out an yucky polyester black something that's been hiding in the back of the closet (for a good reason too, as you'll soon find out) and cut out view C.

The sewing was quick as there are few pattern pieces and the yucky fabric doesn't ravel so I didn't waste my time finishing the seam edges. A few hours of sewing, a few struggles with buttonholes and the jacket was done.

As soon as I put it on I realized what a horrible, horrible fabric choice I had made. Now you tell me - doesn't this look like a chopped off graduation gown?

What Was I Thinking?!?


The shiny, slightly stretchy, polyester black fabric would have been perfect for a Halloween costume - not this jacket. The thing is - this jacket has a funky little pleat at the center top of the sleeve. The pleat matches up with the shoulder seam at the bottom edge of the yoke. The yoke acts like a dropped shoulder and the funky little pleat sticks out when you wear the jacket! Honestly it's quite funny looking.

And because you keep asking me to model my garments here I am attempting to make the best out of a bad jacket. I even managed a fake smile - just for you. (And I'll have photos of me wearing the other items soon, very soon...)

Oh, one more thing. I'm not giving up on the jacket - I'm claiming this as a non-wearable muslin - yea, yea, that's right... I *meant* to use crappy shiny polyester fabric. Another version will be sewn in a softer, drapery fabric - maybe even a plaid to show off the bias cut of the yoke. Pin It

4 comments:

  1. I loved your title for this post - the cropped graduate gown! thanks for reviewing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay what is this? Some sort of sewing blog? What? You'd think you hung out with seamstresses and such--I know better, you're a roller coaster people! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon!!! OMG... Um... isn't the neckline a bit "high" for you??? (LOL... JUST KIDDING!!!) I WANT TO SEE THE PRETTY RUSCHED DRESS MODELED... and NO FAKEY smiles... :o)

    Hmmmm... Not a fav really... I think maybe in a different fabric??? Yea... it does look a bit "graduationY"

    But thanks for sharing!!!

    Lala :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm you can save this jacket! Change the buttons to something with more pizazz and add some trim to the sleeves and neckline...gone is the graduation look...hello new designer gear!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin