Monday, September 03, 2007

Comment on the Baby Doll Skirt from the previous post

I'm copying a comment that was left by the designer of the sock monkey dress. I want all of you to know that she not only created all of those great sock monkey pieces of clothing, but she's the creator of that baby doll skirt as well! Talk about one creative and talented designer!

What do a circus wagon, a sock monkey dress, and a baby doll skirt have in common? Well, I'm not sure how exactly the circus wagon fits in, but the sock monkey dress (as well as the other sock monkey items surrounding it) and baby doll skirt were actually made by the same person - me. That's right - you've got a keen eye.

That skirt is one of my prized possessions. I photographed 2 plastic kewpie doll toys from various angles, created a repeat in photoshop, and applied a half-tone filter, thus giving them the "dot" effect. After which I burnt the image to a screen, and hand silk screened canvas fabric. This fabric was then transformed into an a-line skirt, and certainly was not complete until the baby "fringe" was applied. Look even closer, and you'll notice that the little babies are anatomically correct (and yes, store bought).

All in all, it's a very comfortable skirt, and it causes little to no bruising.

And WAY TO GO Knufie the clown - I'm a super fan of circus stuff, and that wagon is incredible....there were quite a few entries worthy of prizes, but all in all I would say that the judging tends to be rather "interesting."

Best regards,
-rebecca
www.hazelandmelvin.com
www.sockmonkeys.com

Because she posted a comment I was able to follow her links and found a link to the Saint Paul Craftmafia blog.

As much fun as I've been having whipping up clothing to wear to work, it's been too many years since I've dabbled in artistic endeavors and I'm just itchin' to get back to some artsy type crafting and sewing...

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin