Sunday, September 16, 2007

Button button who's got the button

Busy, busy weekend here - how about all of you? Ours was mostly social. Friday night was dinner out with a super fun group of co-workers and spouses/significant others. Saturday night was a paddle boat dinner cruise on the St. Croix River with a couple that we have been meaning to get together with for months! With all that socializing going on there wasn't much time for sewing.

However, I did find time to check out a thrift store that I hadn't visited before. The store had a small textile section, complete with patterns, but no vintage patterns or fabric. I did locate two great sixties-era vintage coats - complete with fur collars - but they were both too large for me. After debating if I would actually take the time to alter them I decided to leave them in the store so they could become some one's treasures.

While browsing the aisles I was drawn to a small plastic bag that contained these blue buttons. A quick peek showed that there were a number of matching sets of buttons so, for less than $5, I became the new owner of a baggie full of buttons.

The entire contents were dumped out as soon as I got home so I could get a closer look at the blue buttons. There were quite a few buttons buried in that little plastic bag!

I love how the buttons are neatly grouped together with pieces of thread.

I wonder if most of them were removed from worn out pieces of clothing before being tied together and placed in a button box?

Among the treasures were these tiny rhinestone buttons. They were attached to a larger set of clear plastic buttons so I didn't notice them at first.

My absolute favorite are these two buttons. They were carefully wrapped in clear plastic wrap with a label attached to the back of the buttons.

The writing on the label reads: "These are off Alda C. Lane's Wedding suit"

I wonder who she was, what her wedding suit looked like, when she was married, and why the buttons ended up being removed.

They must have had a lot of sentimental value for them to be protected and labeled as they were. I'm sure Alda would be happy to know that her wedding suit buttons have found a good home. Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon!!! What a fabulous find you made!!! I always wonder when I see old photos in antique shops WHO are the people in the pics... I make up my own little stories about them... Alda I'm sure would be pleased to know that YOU have become the "keeper of her buttons"... My daughter would be so jealous... BUTTONS are one of her favorite things!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure you found! Vintage buttons are so great and I know you will find the perfect wardrobe pieces to call their new "home". Can't wait to see pics of the sewing you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful new buttons! I wish I could stumble across finds like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I love these kinds of flea mkt trips! Great bag of buttons!! Makes me want to google Alda C. Lane and see what comes up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find! That's what I love about shops like that - you're wandering through someone's treasures. It's a very personal way to shop....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just love it when you come across something absolutely fantastic like that! I'm happy for you. Okay, maybe just a little bit jealous.... :-)

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin