Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Butterick 4986 Twist Top Pattern Review

4986ButterickTop

Pattern Description:

Butterick 4986, pullover tops in two lengths with a wrapped (twist) front, gathered sleeves and collar variations. Fabric suggestions are Georgette, stable knits, lightweight crepe, and faille. The pattern is rated easy.

Pattern Sizing:Available in (8-10-12-14) and (16-18-20-22)

Pattern instructions - easy to follow?
If you've sewn one of the five hundred million gazillion twist top patterns out there you already know how to do the wrap/twist front. If you only collect the patterns and haven't gotten around to actually sewing any of them, let me say that these instructions are very clear on how to construct the twist/wrap portion.

It is difficult to describe with words, as I proved to myself when trying to describe the technique to a co-worker - and I was actually wearing the top at the time which provided a great visual, but was still unable to describe it clearly. Fortunately, there are many illustrations included in the instructions to assist you with this step.

Before creating the twist/wrap, the lower front portion is hemmed in a narrow machine stitched hem, ending 9" from a marked circle. The marked circle is where you'll match your collar if you decide to add one. After twisting/wrapping and sewing the front piece together I sewed the shoulder seams but left the side seams open so I could sew the sleeve in flat.

Next, the collar is sewn on and the balance of the front edge is finished with a narrow hem.

As mentioned, I sewed the sleeves in flat and eased them in without gathering the cap. That's because I didn't realize the sleeve was supposed to have a slight gather. Because I was using a knit it worked out just fine. If you are using a woven you'll want to remember to gather the sleeve cap.

Hem the sleeves and bottom with a narrow machine hem and the top is done.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Likes?
  • I not only collect almost every twist top pattern released but I manage to sew most of them, at least once.
  • The open lower front portion - love that. It hides a tummy and when you sit at a desk for most of the work day the lower portion of the top remains loose and comfy.
  • No FBA!!! Love, love, love that. Because sometimes I'm just plain lazy and I really like being able to just cut something out and sew it without having to make tons of pattern adjustments.
Dislikes?
  • What's not to like? It fits well; it's trendy; it's comfortable; no FBA required; the back is bias cut with a center back seam giving a nice shape; it's easy to sew.
Fabric Used:
A polyester, semi-sheer knit purchased from Fabric Mart Fabrics. It has a slightly raised stripe pattern which looks great with the bias cut back.

Did you make any mistakes?
Why yes I did!
  • First, this was supposed to be for my daughter but I cut it out in my size. (Honey, I promise it was accidental!)
  • Secondly, I cut the front one length and the back another length. (I thought of you Stacey and your upside down Halloween cutting extravaganza!)
(Normally I would have many more sewing mishaps to add but this was only a one hour sewing project so there wasn't as much time as usual to make mistakes.)

Conclusion:
It's a winner - a great addition to the twist top pattern collection.

4986ButterickWear

Full review is here at Pattern review.
(Which is basically what you just read here so I guess you don't really need the link there do you?) Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Cute top! Glad to know I'm not the only curator of patterns out there--I have yet to make any twist tops and at the rate I'm going, who knows if I ever will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great on you. For whatever reason, I've yet to make a twist top, but I love how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Sexy, feminine, looking perfectly on you... and that little band collar adds such an interesting touch...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon - Your version of this pattern is exquisite. It makes me want to pull it out and get going on mine. At least you will be making a second one, for your daughter again, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great top, Sharon! Love it with the camisole underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this one! It looks fantastic on you - nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, I like it like it like it! And...as always, you're simply adorable in this too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, it looks great on you! Perfect fit. You gotta' make one for your daughter now--she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and you would sooo be my VP---even if all the attention would be diverted to your beauty. I'm strong, I can take it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful top! A winner, I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharon - love the top! And love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. KarenP5:50 PM

    Looks great! I love this pattern. I too have tried to describe the construction to (non-sewing) co-workers - it *is* difficult. Interestingly, only men have asked me about the twist...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin