Saturday, August 25, 2007

New Look 6729 Review

How do you spell easy?

I spell it - N*E*W*L*O*O*K*6*7*2*9

That's because this knit top from New Look 6729 is so easy to sew.

New Look 6729, a recent release, is a pattern for two different style faux wrap knit tops with tie and sleeve variations. This particular top is my muslin for view C - the short sleeve with the faux criss-cross wrap front.

NL6729DressForm

Can I just tell you how much I love the look of this tee? And how great it is when a muslin becomes a wearable item? Especially when said muslin was sewn using a remnant from Joann's and cost less than $3?

I skipped my normal FBA but lowered the front top piece by one inch. (see photo)

NL6729

The construction itself is very simple. Entire sewing time was under one hour.
  • The front of the top is three pieces - an upper right front, an upper left front, and a lower piece.
  • Hem the bottom edge of the wrap criss-cross on both the right and left front pieces
  • Hem the top edge of the lower front piece.
  • Sew the right and left upper front pieces to the lower front piece.
NL6759

  • Sew the center back seam.
  • Sew the front and back together at the shoulder seams.
  • Hem the upper edge of the wrap criss-cross and the neck edge.
  • Gather the side edges of the wrap criss-cross pieces and baste to the front side edge.
NL6729
  • Sew the side seams.
  • Hem the sleeves.
  • Hem the top.
  • Put on and wait to speak while husband compliments you.
  • Tell husband it is waaaaaay too low cut.
  • Listen as husband vehemently denies that the top is too low cut and says that the two of you should go out, right now, with you wearing the new top.
  • Laugh and tell husband you're going to fix the top so it isn't *quite* so low cut so you can get wear to more places, like perhaps to the office.
  • Husband agrees that it would be not be appropriate for work as is.
Will I be sewing another one? Ya, sure, you betcha. Pin It

17 comments:

  1. This looks great! and I love the colour!

    Thanks for posting on this pattern. I just got it today and am eager to sew it up myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great top. I LOVE the colour! I think you have not only sold DH on this top but also me. I had no intention of buying this pattern until I saw your version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great top, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Very flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I like everything about this. I've also had to just lower the bodice to get by girl parts to fit well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute top. I never even noticed this pattern. Your version shows how cute it can be! Definitely one to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, very cute top. It looks fantastic on you. Did you and your hubby go out? and did you wear the top?!!!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, I must have this!! SUPER cute top! LOL at your directions :D Your huband probably LOVES this top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this on my list to buy. And now that I have seen yours I am definitely going soon. Your version is better than the drawing on the envelope.
    After how my DH reacted to my latest top, I can see why your DH liked this one. It is nice to know we can still turn their heads after all these years, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the top! And where I work and in NYC that top would be just fine to wear to work...we seem to always be pushing the limits! *LOL*
    The color is great, the price is right and I always love it when a wearable muslin becomes more wearable than muslin!

    Oh and thanks for the nomination! It is so appreciated and I am happy that you enjoy my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon!!! LOVE the top... Color is GREAT!!! Would love it for me (a bit longer in the body maybe to help camo some flaws... LOL) and I DEFINITELY don't have what it takes for the low cutness... so that might have to be "upped" a bit... I love it when you share your projects! How is Abby doing? And how is Sophia doing with Abby? Off to sign daughter up for dance! :o)

    Lala :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharon - great top. I don't know how you do it all the time. I'm going to have to add that pattern to the list too.

    I just noticed you nominated me - thank you I'm truly flattered. g

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still may have time to run out, get this pattern, sew it and not have to cook dinner tonight, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't you love those ones that are so quick and easy to stitch up? It looks great on you! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very very beautiful, I love how it drapes, the color, the style it looks great on you Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw your review on PR for this new tee. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent top !And fits you great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin