Before I get to the sewing project I want to say thanks for the puppy advice. The review for the jacket from McCall's 4276 is at the bottom if you want to skip the puppy news.
Replying to puppy comments and advice
x.Helen.x - that's so funny that he slept on the floor with the new puppy! Believe me, it's tempting :-0)]
Patty - Jake is adorable and while I wanted a grown-up dog, DH had his heart set on a puppy
Gaylen - oh no! 5 mos of this would be terrible! I love that Beau and Lucy haven't figured out that they can step over the baby gates.
Lala - I think Abby must be a popular dog name. Yes, she is very social - already wants to be around us all the time. Just walks into whatever room we move into and plops. We want to move her into our room on a dog bed but are concerned that she will get up and "do her business" without us waking up to let her out. We'll see how it goes tonight. We are keeping the bathroom door open and gating it and our bed is close to the door. We're already working on "manners" and will get her in obedience training as soon as we can.
Stacey - Yep, you called that one right. Little Sophia has stairs going up to the couch. Sophia never figured out that she can jump on furniture and we got tired of her begging to be picked up so we bought the stairs. Just don't show Louie the picture and he'll never know that doggie ramps exist!
Sewing - McCall's 5276
This past weekend I did manage to accomplish more than just sewing on two buttons and two sets of snaps. Working in 10 to 15 minute increments (ala Nancy Zieman) both Saturday and Sunday, I was able to complete this jacket from McCall's 5276.
The brown fabric was used to test the pattern. I purchased this wild linen fabric from FabricClub and I wanted to make sure I liked the jacket before cutting into the zebra print.
The jacket is view b with no alterations. There is a lot of ease in the jacket so I wanted to see how if I could get by without an FBA.
It's a very simple jacket to construct. The only difficulty I ran into was sewing the collar on. I have always struggled with this type of collar construction. The instructions say to sew the front opening and label edges to the upper circles and to sew collar edges together between the circles. When I don't sew one continuous seam I have a hard time getting the corner where the collar and label meet to lay smoothly. You'd think after all these years I would have that mastered but I don't. As always, I'm open to tips and hints for improvement...
The jacket is quite full and has a swing shape accentuated with a back inverted pleat. On me, the back hangs lower than the front. It might be because I did not do an FBA and thus did not add any length to the front of the jacket. I actually like the length of the jacket in the front better than the back as the back hits me at the widest part of my hip.
For a wearable muslin it's a keeper and while I like the jacket I'm not in love with it. I think I'm going to choose another jacket pattern for the linen zebra print and look for a fun retro print for my second version of this jacket - something like this one.